June 25, 2019
Hancock Latest News | Acadia National Park | Bangor Metro | Moth Infestation | Today's Paper

Fire damages apartment in Trenton

Bill Trotter | BDN
Bill Trotter | BDN
Bruce Croteau hoses down fellow Hancock firefighter Aaron Johnson on Tuesday morning in Trenton while responding to structure fire on Stoneham Way. Johnson was covered in dust and debris from opening up a ceiling in a garage apartment to get at hot spots up in the rafters of the building.

TRENTON, Maine — A fire Tuesday morning in the rafters above a garage apartment damaged the building but did not result in any injuries, according to local fire officials.

Trenton Assistant Fire Chief Richard Gray said firefighters from four towns responded to the blaze. The first-floor apartment is attached to the end of a residential garage at the end of Stoneham Way off Oak Point Road.

The tenant of the apartment had started a fire in a wood stove earlier in the morning, according to Gray. He added that the man was letting the fire go out and was about to leave when he noticed smoke in the dwelling.

“It looks like it might have started near the chimney,” Gray said.

According to Trenton Fire Chief Steve Corson, the call came in around 9:30 a.m. He said the tenant closed doors inside the building before he got out, which helped to prevent the fire from spreading more before firefighters arrived.

About two dozen firefighters from Bar Harbor, Ellsworth, Hancock, Lamoine and Trenton responded to the blaze, Corson said. No people or pets were injured in the fire.

Corson said the property is insured. He said firefighters had to pull the ceiling down in one room, and the blown-in insulation on top of it, to get to the flames, but added that the damage can be fixed.

Corson said firefighters cleared the scene by about 2 p.m. He said he does not expect to contact the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like