ROCKLAND, Maine — A fire caused extensive damage Tuesday afternoon to a Pleasant Street home.

A family dog died from smoke inhalation despite efforts by firefighters to revive the pet after it was found in the house.

The fire was reported shortly after 3 p.m. and when the first officer arrived on the scene, he found smoke coming from the eaves of the home at 337 Pleasant St.

The home is owned by Donald Fowles but was being rented by David and Carrie Johnson, according to the Fire Department.

A large fire was found in the kitchen. Damage was extensive but the home can be repaired, the department reported.

The 1,800-square-foot house was assessed by the city at $121,600. The home is insured.

No one was home at the time of the fire, which was traced to a malfunctioning piece of kitchen equipment. The type of equipment was not immediately available.

One firefighter suffered a cut to his hand.

Crews remained at the scene until shortly after 5 p.m.