BANGOR, Maine — Power was restored to hundreds of customers in the downtown area after an early morning outage Friday, while more than 13,000 Bangor Hydro and Central Maine Power customers are still awaiting the return of their electricity.
Multiple streets in the downtown area were in the dark early Friday, according to Bangor Hydro’s website, and several traffic lights were out. Bangor police Lt. Paul Edwards said shortly before 9:30 a.m. power had been restored in the downtown area.
More than 1,000 downtown-area customers were affected due to a problem at the Park Street substation, Bangor Hydro spokeswoman Susan Faloon said.
Faloon said the outages were caused by moisture in the electrical system.
Faloon said later Friday that reinforcements from Nova Scotia Power and Emera Utility Services are en route to join Bangor Hydro crews in their restoration efforts.
Approximately 6,357 Bangor Hydro customers remained without power shortly after 2 p.m. Friday.
Central Maine Power reported 5,083 people were without electricity shortly after 2 p.m., which is down from a Tuesday morning peak of 87,000.
“We met our goal to reduce outages to fewer than 10,000 without service Thursday evening,” said CMP spokesman John Carroll.
Carroll estimated more than 123,000 CMP customers lost power in the ice storm’s aftermath.
The opening of federal court in Bangor was delayed until 10 a.m.
Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.