WATERVILLE, Maine — A barn and part of a home at 160 Drummond Ave. were destroyed Wednesday by a fire caused by careless disposal of ashes from a woodstove.

Homeowner Robert Grenier suffered first- and second-degree burns on his hands, but was not transported to the hospital, according to a news release from the Waterville Fire Department.

Four people were in the home preparing Christmas dinner when the fire was discovered, according to the release.

Approximately 50 firefighters from Waterville, Winslow and Fairfield responded to the scene, where an “ell” in the farmhouse collapsed, along with the barn.

According to the release, Grenier used a plastic bucket to contain ashes removed from a woodstove, and then placed the bucket inside an attached shed.

The incident was investigated by Lt. John Gromek of the Waterville Fire Department and Ken MacMaster of the state fire marshal’s office.

The home was left uninhabitable, according to the release.