Man using medical oxygen burns himself while smoking cigarette

Posted Dec. 17, 2013, at 4:31 p.m.

LEBANON, Maine — A man was hospitalized Monday morning after he burned himself while smoking a cigarette, officials said.

The man, who is in his 60s, had medical oxygen hooked up to his nose while smoking, and the cigarette caused the tubing to melt, according to Lebanon Rescue Assistant Chief Jason Cole.

The man, whose name was not released, had burns to his face and head when authorities arrived on scene, Cole said.

Smoking while on oxygen creates great risk of fire, Cole said, as fires can burn hotter once a cigarette is ignited, which can lead to larger fires that are difficult to put out.

Story continues below advertisement.

The man was transported to Maine Medical Center in Portland for treatment.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

Similar Articles

More in Portland