December 15, 2017
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Net Neutrality | Republican Tax Bill | Susan Collins

5 treated for carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms in Lebanon

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

LEBANON, Maine — A family of five escaped serious illness Monday after it was reported they were experiencing symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.

Crews were sent to a residence around 7:25 p.m., according to Lebanon Rescue Assistant Chief Jason Cole.

Cole said firefighters determined that levels of carbon monoxide were elevated upstairs in an area where two of the family members had symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. The family had detectors in the house and were able to get outside safely when alarms went off.

Crews were on scene for about an hour ventilating the house and treating the family, none of whom took seriously ill, Cole said.

Cole said homeowners should use caution when heating their homes due to the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headaches, nausea, and fatigue, are often mistaken for the flu because the deadly gas goes undetected in a home. Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage and even death.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like