June 25, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Red Meat Allergy | Foraging | Ranked-Choice Voting

Port Clyde to honor child killed in summer car crash

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

PORT CLYDE, Maine — A community event will be held Saturday in memory of a young boy who was killed when a careening car struck his family this summer.

Proceeds from the celebration, a revival of Rock the Dock fundraisers of the past, will benefit two organizations that responded to the Aug. 11 car crash that claimed the life of 9-year-old Dylan Gold of Cohasset, Mass.

Donations from people attending the event will go to LifeFlight of Maine as well as to the St. George Ambulance Service, according to Amy Barstow of Port Clyde, who with her husband, Andy, operates the Monhegan Boat Line.

“We want to try to turn something tragic, into something at least a little bit positive,” she said.

The event, which will include food and beverages and feature live music from two bands — Country Choir and Maine Rocket — will be held from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the Monhegan Boat Line property at the center of Port Clyde Village. While there is no charge for the event, contributions are requested.

Rock the Dock events originated a few years ago to raise funds for the Fishermen’s Memorial, which has since been erected at Marshall Point Light. The last Rock the Dock fundraiser was held in 2010.

Andy Barstow said his wife, Amy, contacted the Gold family about the planned Oct. 19 event and it was the family’s wish to have the money raised to go to the two local organizations.

Barstow said community support for reviving the event this weekend has been strong with many people donating items for it.

The August crash on the boat line’s wharf occurred when a vehicle driven by Cheryl Lynn Torgerson accelerated at the wharf, struck one car and then pedestrian Jonathan Coggeshall. Torgerson’s car continued on, crashing into a building and careening along the wharf, striking six vehicles and hitting Allison Gold and her two sons. Dylan died and her 6-year-old son, Wyatt, was released after a few days at Maine Medical Center in Portland. The mother was released from Maine Medical Center and moved to a rehabilitation center in Massachusetts. Coggeshall, 68, of Port Clyde was released from Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport within a week of the crash.

Torgerson told investigators that the accelerator went down on its own and was stuck to the floor, according to police.

District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau received the investigative reports on the accident about three weeks ago from the Knox County Sheriff’s Office. He said he is reviewing the reports to determine whether charges will be filed.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like