JAY, Maine — A family of three and two dogs escaped injury early Wednesday when a television caught fire in a bedroom and spread to a dresser it was on at a mobile home on BJ’s Lane, Assistant Fire Chief Mike Booker said.

Jessica Zamudio had fallen asleep with the television on and woke to find it on fire, he said.

The fire was reported at 1:44 a.m.

Once Booker arrived, he said, he canceled mutual aid. Twelve firefighters and two engines from Jay responded.

Jay officer Nicholas Gulliver put out the fire with an extinguisher.

Firefighters vented the home with positive pressure fans, he said.

The flat-screen television burned and the dresser it was on was heavily damaged. It is about a $1,500 value, he said. The rest of the home had smoke damage.

The family did not have insurance.

The home is still liveable, Booker said. The family returned to the home at about 2:30 a.m.