June 19, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | John Bapst | Medicaid Expansion | Family Separations

Belfast mother allegedly drunk during ‘horrendous crash’ when truck rolled over with children inside

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

BELFAST, Maine — Police say that a 29-year-old mother was drunk when she got into a serious accident in August while driving with her two small children in the truck.

Jennifer Lambeth, whose address was listed as Belfast on her arrest warrant, turned herself in last week at the Belfast Police Department on several charges related to the Aug. 17 crash on Back Searsport Road. According to police reports, lab reports showed her blood alcohol content was more than twice the legal limit of .08 percent after the accident.

Chief Mike McFadden said Tuesday that it can take some time for lab tests to be completed. He also said that Lambeth suffered significant injuries in the accident, and he didn’t think it would have been in anyone’s interest to expedite her arrest.

When she turned herself in on Oct. 2, Lambeth was charged with operating under the influence, two counts of endangering the welfare of children and driving to endanger. She was booked at Waldo County Jail in Belfast and then paid $2,500 unsecured bail to be released from police custody.

At the time of the accident, which caused a two-hour-long power outage in the neighborhood and serious injuries to Lambeth, police said it was a miracle that no one was killed. Her two children — a 2-year-old and a 10-month-old — had been correctly strapped into their car seats and suffered only minor injuries. Police said they did not know if the children are still with their mother.

Lambeth lost control of the Chevrolet Avalanche that afternoon, rolling the truck several times before it hit and broke a telephone pole, according to police. The vehicle then continued rolling several more times before finally coming to rest. Lambeth was thrown from the vehicle and suffered extensive injuries, including broken arms, legs, pelvis and back, according to Sgt. John Gibbs. She was taken by ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor to receive treatment.

“It was a horrendous crash,” Gibbs said then. “It was fortunate it wasn’t a fatality.”

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like