June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Teen father accused of killing 3-month-old arrested for allegedly violating bail conditions

Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
Linda Coan O'Kresik | BDN
Dustin Brown, 18, makes his initial court appearance at the Penobscot Judicial Center on Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013.
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The local teenager accused of taking the life of his 3-month-old son in November was arrested Friday on two counts of violating the conditions of his release from jail.

Dustin Brown, 19, of Bangor allegedly was outside his father’s home at Birch Hill Estates in Bangor for nonemployment purposes last month and he was not living with his father as of Friday, according to documents filed Friday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Brown’s bail conditions required that he live with his father, Ronald Brown, and that he only be outside the home while working and traveling to and from work. He also was prohibited from contacting the child’s mother and her mother and from possessing firearms, Benson said.

In an affidavit in support of probable cause for the violations, Bangor police Detective Tim Shaw said that Brown reportedly went to the Bangor State Fair on July 27 and that at the time of his arrest Friday he was residing with Alexis Geiser, the daughter of his employer, Shane Geiser, owner of Geiser Properties in Holden.

Maine Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson, who is prosecuting the case, filed a motion on Friday to revoke Brown’s preconviction bail.

Brown was 18 when he was charged with manslaughter in the Nov. 25 death of his son, Xander C. Brown, in early January. He entered a plea of not guilty on Jan. 3 and was released on bail on Jan. 18 with conditions that included a requirement that he remain in the custody of his father.

Bangor police Lt. Tim Reid, who heads the Bangor Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division, said at that time that the infant died from “traumatic head injuries” and “inflicted trauma.”

Reid said that Brown told the baby’s mother that he had been feeding Xander and when he went to burp him, Xander’s head struck his chin. Brown said that he “jerked Xander when this happened,” a police affidavit said.

“Dustin told her that Xander went limp after he jerked him. Dustin began crying after telling her this.”

The baby, who was born premature, had no other signs of injury. Brown told investigators that “he was feeding Xander his bottle when he just went limp while eating and was unresponsive,” Bangor police Detective Brent Beaulieu said in the affidavit. “Dustin denied witnessing or having knowledge of any traumatic injury to Xander.”

The child’s mother and his grandmother, who were both in the house while Brown was feeding the baby, said they heard a commotion or “thud sound” just before Brown left the bedroom with the unresponsive baby, according to police.

A family member called 911 at 4:07 p.m. on Nov. 25 to report that the baby wasn’t breathing. When Bangor police and ambulance personnel arrived at 94 Thatcher St., they immediately took Xander Brown to Eastern Maine Medical Center, where he died at 5:40 p.m.

Brown’s father, Ronald Brown, and a cousin were in the courtroom at the Penobscot Judicial Center during the brief arraignment Thursday. Both said they were heartbroken over the baby’s death and Brown’s arrest.

The baby, nicknamed “Xanderbear,” was born to Brown and Alania Cain on Aug. 22, according to his obituary, which ran in the Bangor Daily News on Nov. 28.

Brown, who was indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury on Jan. 2 and arrested shortly afterward, was returned to Penobscot County Jail.

Manslaughter, a Class A crime, carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like