May 25, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Farm Bill | Memorial Day | Pigs Buried

Yesterday – Aug. 1, 2013

Danny Maher | BDN
Danny Maher | BDN
Members of the Bangor Fire Department took advantage of the good weather on Monday, May 11, 1953 to begin a repainting of Central Station on Union Street. The number two ladder truck was hauled out and put to use and most of the available manpower was armed with brushes. According to Chief John J. Nelligan, all of the structure except the bricks will be painted, and the most surprising thing of all is the fact that the boys are getting away from the traditional green which had decorated the station from its beginning. This time they're using gray, figuring it will wear better.
By Ardeana Hamlin, Of the Weekly Staff

10 years ago — Aug. 1, 2003
(As reported in the Bangor Daily News)
NEWBURGH — For Ricky Craven, part of his recent difficulty in finishing the NASCAR Winston Cup races has been where he’s started. In fact, qualifying has been a struggle all season for the Newburgh native, who will participate in qualifying for one of NASCAR’s signature races, the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Craven had made only one top-10 start all season, a sixth at Rockingham, N.C., in the second race of the season on Feb. 25.

BANGOR — The Bangor Humane Society recently received a $1,000 grant from the PETCO Foundation for spay and neuter surgery for each of the pets in the society’s re-homing program.
The Bangor Humane Society spent $47,000 to spay and neuter re-homed pets in 2002, which is only 20 percent of the total cost of the surgeries.

25 years ago — Aug. 1, 1988
LUCERNE-IN-MAINE — After addressing the same issue at its annual village meeting for the past three years, Lucerne-in-Maine residents voted to agree with the board of overseers in opposing a $60,000 addition to the village fire station.
But after the meeting, Frank Myatt, fire chief for the Lucerne-in-Maine Village Corp. and the neighboring community of Dedham, said the addition question may be aired again on the basis of some possibly “illegal” procedural approaches to the proposal during the three-hour session.

BANGOR — Paid attendance through the first three days of the Bangor State Fair is on a record setting pace, officials said.
Fair Director Dale Theriault, Bangor’s director of parks and recreation, waxed ecstatic, smiling as he reeled off the numbers.
Saturday’s attendance of 20,004 was the “largest one-day [crowd] at a Bangor State Fair,” Theriault said. The largest crowds last year was the first Saturday, when 11,361 people paid to enter.
The attendance of Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 40,439, was a “little over half of the total paid attendance for last year’s record-breaking,” he said. The number is nearly double the 21,115 who attended the fair during the first three days last year.

50 years ago — Aug. 1, 1963
BREWER — Harrison Nash Brooks, 97, of 172 Wilson St., one of Brewer’s oldest citizens and founder of the Brooks Brick Company Inc., died after a short illness. He was born in Orrington on Sept. 10, 1867, the son of George and Priscilla (Nash) Brooks. His grandfather emigrated from England and settled in Orrington in 1776.
Mr. Brooks began his career working in his father’s pottery business in Orrington as a small boy. He later became one of the outstanding authorities on clay in this section of the country.
In 1906, he and a partner, J.E. Littlefield, purchased a brick business from Hugh O’Brian which became known at the Brooks Brick Company Inc., located on Maple Street in Brewer.
In 1923 the firm produced six million bricks plus fire brick, fire clay, flue linings and sewer pipe. The company owned 35 acres of the best clay in the state. The company could turn out 60,000 bricks per day.
It was Brooks Brick which built the Bangor City hall, the Pearl and Dennett building, the Swift and Company building and the Coe building on Main Street. Brooks Brick helped in the rebuilding of Boston after the great fire of 1942.
Mr. Brooks was instrumental in obtaining one of the first power driven snowplows used on the streets of Brewer.
Mr. Brooks also was student of geology. He owned a set of walrus bones he believed to be 5,000 years old, which he presented to the Bangor Historical Society.

BANGOR — Vic Runtz, Bangor Daily News cartoonist, was guest speaker at the weekly meeting of the Bangor-Brewer Lions Club. Runtz explained the background of cartooning over the years; for example, over the years cartoonists were much more severe in their criticisms and caricatures.
He also explained that a cartoonist had to believe in what he was doing, otherwise he would be compromising his integrity.

100 years ago — Aug. 1, 1913
BUCKSPORT — John Q. Wood, formerly of Bucksport, and now a consul at Tripoli, arrived from Washington, D.C., where he has been to visit his mother, Mrs. Fred Wood and sister, Miss Flora Wood.
Mr. Wood has had an interesting career. During all the trouble between the Turks and the Italians, Consul Wood conducted himself tactfully, so tactfully that he is represented as having won the friendship of both sides, which brought no little advantage to the United States. His name is now widely known in Italy, where he is possibly the most popular of all Americans.
While in Washington, Mr. Wood called upon President Wilson, who was one of his professors under whom he studied at Wesleyan University.
From Wesleyan, Mr. Wood went to Honolulu where he taught school, and studied law in the office of L.A. Thurston, one time minister to the republic of Hawaii at Washington. Among other things,
Mr. Wood will be always known at Honolulu as the father of football, which game he introduced into that faraway island.

HAMPDEN — Lyndon, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. George Emery, who was so badly cut by a scythe last week, is comfortable, and the wound is doing well. It was a narrow escape from serious injury, the cut being in the abdomen, requiring 12 stitches to close.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like