AUGUSTA, Maine — The following structures in Maine have been entered in the National Register of Historic Places, according to Earle G. Shettleworth Jr., director of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission.
Such a designation means the property has been documented, evaluated and considered worthy of preservation and protection as part of the country’s cultural heritage.
- Phi Gamma Delta House, Orono, a Tudor-style fraternity house built in 1925 on the University of Maine campus, for its architecture and its association with the educational programs of the university.
- Saco Central Fire Station, Saco, built in 1938 with assistance from one of several federal work relief programs developed by the Roosevelt administration in response to massive unemployment during the Great Depression.
- Lincoln School, Acton, built in 1884 as a one-story, one-room schoolhouse which continued to be a place to educate students until 1957, when a new multigrade elementary school was built to serve the entire town.
- Hancock Point School, Hancock, built in 1870 as a one-story, one-room schoolhouse, and continued to be a place to educate area children until the eve of World War II.
- Lower Meeting House, erected in 1831, and East Bethel Cemetery, Bethel, as a classic example of a type of meeting house or church and associated cemetery that was built by some rural Maine communities in the four decades before the Civil War, featuring late Federal style massing and ornamentation and straight wooden pews, wainscoting, choir loft and pulpit.
- Marsh School, Prospect, constructed approximately 1880, as a one-room schoolhouse and was used for that purpose until 1963, when it became a town hall and community center.
- Clough Meeting House, Lewiston, constructed in 1846 by local farmer Henry M. Garcelon to serve the Second Free Will Baptist Church and featured the pulpit situated between the front entrances and pews facing the facade rather than the back wall of the church in a “reverse plan” to other churches; also has grain-painted interior decoration including a rare example of smoke painting.
- Saint Hyacinth School and Convent, Westbrook, an 1894 3½-story brick school constructed in the Second Empire style with a mansard roof, and a separate 1922 2½-story flat roof brick convent building with late Gothic Revival design front entrance, which catered to the growing immigrant community of French Canadians and Franco-Americans settling in Westbrook.