May 24, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Police investigating Bath infant who suffered serious injuries, is in coma

By Larry Grard, Times Record

BATH, Maine — Bath and Maine State Police are investigating how an infant suffered injuries serious enough to require hospitalization.

The mother said Friday morning the child may not survive; he is in a medically induced coma at Maine Medical Center in Portland.

In a statement, state police said a nine-month-old infant was taken at 4:30 a.m. Thursday by his mother to Mid-Coast Hospital in Brunswick after suffering unspecified injuries Wednesday.

Police interviewed family members “to determine the circumstances” surrounding the infant’s injuries, state police spokesman Steve McCausland said. Police spoke to the infant’s mother, Danielle Malcolm, 21, and her boyfriend Benjamin McNeill, 29.

The pair brought the infant to the hospital “as a result of concerns they had for a change in (the baby’s) behaviors,” state police Sgt. Jason Richards said in a news release.

Mid-Coast Hospital officials identified the injuries and transferred the baby to Maine Medical Center in Portland, Richards said, where he remains.

All parties are cooperating with the investigation, Richards said.

McCausland described the infant’s injuries as “serious.”

“We are monitoring the condition of the child at Maine Med and have interviewed the family trying to uncover the circumstances that led to the incident,” McCausland said.

The child was taken to the hospital early in the morning Thursday from her home at 29 Windjammer Way.

Bath police had taken what they called a “suspicious” report from that address at 9:59 a.m.

Danielle Malcolm posted on her Facebook page at around 1 a.m. Friday that the child is on a machine to help her breathe and stay alive.

“So to clear up the rumors,” Malcolm wrote, “my daughter is at Maine Med. She had a stroke which made the left side of her brain swell and bleed. She can’t use the left side of her body. I have one of the hardest decisions of my life coming up.”

A woman who lives in the same building as Malcolm said this afternoon she saw McNeill at the apartment Thursday night, and that police were waiting for him.

Of Malcolm, the neighbor said “she was a good mother and loves her child.”


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like