ORONO, Maine — The 20-year-old Orono man accused of killing 15-year-old Nichole Cable is considered a “person of interest” in a Kenduskeag burglary, according to police.
On Friday morning, the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office — with the assistance of the Maine State Police and the Orono Police Department — executed a search warrant for stolen property at the home of Kyle Dube, Detective Robert Jordan of the sheriff’s department said.
Jordan declined to say what police were looking for and whether any stolen items were recovered. He said the burglary happened on Jan. 8 at a residence in the Mudgett Road area.
“It is not related” to the ongoing investigation into the death of Nichole Cable, he said.
Dube is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home on May 12 by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong.
Cable had been missing for just over a week when her remains were found on May 20 in the woods near the Stillwater River in Old Town. The state medical examiner’s office determined earlier this month that Cable died of “ asphyxia due to compression of the neck.”
Dube was in Penobscot County Jail at the time of his arrest for murder. He reported to jail on May 17 to serve a 90-day sentence for charges stemming from a high-speed motorcycle chase last year that ended when he crashed into a police cruiser.
Dube, who is charged with kidnapping in addition to murder in connection with the death of Cable, currently is being held without bail.
If convicted of the charges he faces in Cable’s death, Dube faces between 25 years and life in prison. Dube has not been charged in connection with the burglary, Jordan said.