BANGOR, Maine — The Orono man accused of kidnapping and killing a 15-year-old girl from Glenburn and Alton in May pleaded not guilty to both crimes Wednesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Kyle Dube, 20, who faces one count each of kidnapping and murder in the death of Nichole Cable on May 12, told Superior Court Justice Ann Murray that he understood the charges against him when he entered the two pleas.

Stephen Smith, the Bangor attorney appointed to represent Dube, has asked that his client undergo a psychological evaluation to determine whether he is competent to stand trial.

Murray said she would decide on the request at a later date. She also gave the defense and prosecution 120 days to file any motions, but did not set a trial date.

Dube was indicted May 29 by a Penobscot County grand jury and is being held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail.

He is accused of luring Cable out of her mother’s home by using someone else’s identity on Facebook, then killing her in an abduction gone wrong. Dube allegedly planned to kidnap the girl, hide her, then find her and play the hero.

Cable died of “asphyxia due to compression of the neck,” the state medical examiner’s office announced Thursday.

Dr. Margaret Greenwald released her findings about Cable’s death after consulting with the Maine State Police crime lab, which reviewed evidence in the case.

Cable’s body was found late May 20 in a wooded area of Old Town after Dube’s girlfriend and brother told police where Dube said he had left the girl’s body, according to court documents.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson asked that Dube continue to be held without bail and Murray agreed, saying that he will “continue to be held day-to-day” pending the scheduling of a future bail hearing.

Dube’s attorney also filed a motion to add Wendy Hatch as co-council.

Because Superior Court Justice William Anderson has been assigned the case and also is related to the head of the Maine State Police computer crimes unit, which played a crucial role in connecting Dube to the fake Facebook page, Murray brought up the potential conflict of interest. Smith responded by saying, “Mr. Dube does not object [to Anderson as trial judge].”

Murray asked Dube if he agreed with his lawyer’s statement, to which he responded, “Yes.”

Cable’s family sat in the front row of the courtroom. Her mother was wearing a yellow T-shirt that featured her daughter’s picture and carried a stuffed animal that belonged to her.

If found guilty of kidnapping and murder, Dube would face between 25 years and life in prison on the murder charge alone. If found not guilty by reason of insanity, he would be committed to Riverview until he is deemed not to be a risk to society.

BDN reporter Judy Harrison contributed to this story.