Yes. Life is good in Portland.
Elsewhere in the nation, cities such as Las Vegas (“What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”) and New York City (“I love New York”) have found great success branding, merchandising and attracting visitors with snappy slogans. Others have done the best with what they have, like tiny Gas, Kan. (“Don’t pass Gas, stop and enjoy it”) or Hooker, Okla. (“It’s a location, not a vocation”).
The following is an impartial list of nicknames for Maine’s cities and towns:
• Abbot: Maine’s No. 1 Town
• Bangor: Queen City of the East
• Bath: Maine’s Cool Little City
• Bucksport: Center of the known universe
• Cherryfield: Blueberry capital of the world
• Cities of the Androscoggin: Lewiston/Auburn
• Fort Kent: The little town that could
• Lincoln: The gateway town
• Millinocket: The Magic City
• Old Orchard Beach: It’s a shore thing
• Rockland: Lobster capital of the world
• Wiscasset: The prettiest village in Maine