May 27, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Arrest made in Sunday’s robbery of Ellsworth convenience store

Hancock County Jail | BDN
Hancock County Jail | BDN
Nathaniel Isaacson
By Mario Moretto, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Police here have arrested a local man they say robbed a downtown convenience store on Sunday.

After a four-day investigation, Nathaniel Isaacson, 20, of Bayside Road was arrested Thursday afternoon on charges of robbery, theft by unauthorized taking and terrorizing. Isaacson was brought to Hancock County Jail.

During a bail hearing Friday afternoon, Superior Court Justice Ann Murray set bail at $5,000 cash or $50,000 surety bond.

Because one of the charges Isaacson faces is a felony, he did not enter a plea to any of the charges. His next court appearance is scheduled for July 25.

During his hearing, Isaacson said he was a recovering drug addict who has recently gone off methadone “cold turkey,” and requested to be placed in an inpatient clinic. Murray said that if he could secure a bed at such a facility, she would consider amending his bail.

District Attorney Carletta “Dee” Bassano had requested bail set at $10,000 cash or $75,000 surety, in part because after the robbery, Isaacson allegedly procured a shotgun, sawed off the barrel and was “planning his next commercial robbery.”

On Sunday afternoon, a masked man entered Mike’s Country Store on Water Street and demanded cash from the register. The man allegedly told the clerk that if he was given the money, “no one would get hurt.”

After receiving an amount of money in excess of $500, the robber allegedly ran off, eluding police, who used dogs to search the area into the evening.

Video surveillance and other evidence were gathered at the scene, police said, and Detective Dotty Small worked the case “nonstop” before arresting Isaacson on Thursday, said Police Chief John DeLeo.

Small said Friday that one of the most important leads she received were from a local gun shop. She said Isaacson had been at the shop earlier in the day, where he put a gun “on hold” and told the clerk that he didn’t have any money for the gun at the moment.

“Approximately 25 minutes after the robbery, he called and said, ‘I’ve got the money, can I come and get it today?’” she said. “The gun shop called us, because they’d heard about the robbery. They thought that it was odd.”

Small also said Isaacson had been at Mike’s Country Store earlier in the day and had been interviewed by police several times before he was arrested.

The robbery charge Isaacson faces is a Class B felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

Jody Colson, owner of Mike’s Country Store, said her regular customers have made special efforts to patronize the shop since the robbery.

Follow Mario Moretto on Twitter at @riocarmine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like