June 20, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Hampden officer fatally shoots man who pointed gun at him

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

HAMPDEN, Maine — A police officer who responded to a report of a suicidal man Sunday night fatally shot him when the man pointed a gun at officers, Hampden police Chief Joe Rogers said Monday.

Cameron Arrigoni, 21, was shot and killed when he pointed a handgun at Sgt. Chris Bailey and Officer Bill Miller, who were called to 36 Main Road South about 9:20 p.m., the police chief said.

A 24-year-old woman who lives at the residence with Arrigoni called police to say he was suicidal.

While en route, “officers heard there was some altercation between the female and the male,” Rogers said.

The woman had locked herself in an upstairs bedroom and an armed Arrigoni was trying to break down the door, the police chief said.

“They went up into the second story where the suspect pointed a gun at Officer Bailey,” Rogers said. “Bailey fired his weapon.”

Bailey is a 20-year veteran of the department, the chief said. The veteran police officer spent eight years as the school resource officer in the early 2000s.

“Obviously, he’s upset,” Rogers said.

Hampden police never had dealt with Arrigoni in the past, the police chief said. He was from Winterport and went to Fort Kent Community High School as well as Hampden Academy, where he graduated in 2009, according to his Facebook page. He worked at Westgate Manor in Bangor as a dietary aide.

The Maine attorney general’s office is investigating, as it does with all police shootings. Bailey was placed on paid administrative leave until the investigation is completed, which is protocol.

Bailey left the police station at approximately 4:30 a.m. with his family, who arrived to support him, the police chief said.

The incident occurred near Reeds Brook Middle School and temporarily closed Main Road South late Sunday night. Officers from the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office and Maine State Police assisted Hampden police.

Troopers Tucker Bonnevie, Steve Morrell, Trevor Snow, Jonah O’Roak and Forrest Simpson and Sgt. Scott Hamilton assisted Hampden, the state police website states.

The shooting was the second to occur over the weekend involving armed people and police. An 18-year-old man from Wells was shot by a Maine State Police trooper on Saturday night. James Reynolds, who had a hunting rifle on him while walking along Roy Road in West Paris about 6:45 p.m., was shot by Trooper Jason Wing.

The teenager is recovering at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston and was listed in serious condition Monday afternoon, a hospital official said.

BDN online editor William P. Davis contributed to this story.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like