June 23, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Five-hour manhunt ends in arrest of Trenton 16-year-old

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

TRENTON, Maine — A 16-year-old boy was taken into custody without injury Friday evening after sparking a five-hour manhunt that drew an estimated 50 law enforcement officers from multiple agencies to Bayside Road, according to state police.

In a statement issued Friday evening by Maine Department of Public Safety, police said Dylan Sargent is suspected of ransacking the Bayside Road home where he lives with his parents and then taking two firearms from the house as he left on foot at around 12:45 p.m.

About two hours later Sargent allegedly confronted a teenage girl at her house nearby on Crystal Lane but fled when, according to the statement, she “fended him off.”

Police already were looking for the boy but more from multiple agencies converged on the area at that point, blocking off Bayside Road between where it intersects Goose Cove Road to the south and the Ellsworth-Trenton town line to the north. Bayside Road is one of two roads, the other being Route 3, that motorists use to travel between Ellsworth and Mount Desert Island.

At around 6 p.m., some Trenton residents who live near the Ellsworth line on Union River Bay, just off Bayside Road, contacted police to say they saw Sargent walking along the shoreline, according to the statement. Two Ellsworth officers manning the nearby roadblock armed themselves with rifles and then, followed moments later by other officers who pulled up to the scene, went to intercept Sargent. The boy, who by then was unarmed, was arrested uninjured after a foot chase, police said.

Sargent was expected to be taken Friday evening to the Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston, according to the statement.

Speaking to reporters after Sargent was taken into custody, Lt. Roderick Charette of Maine State Police said that both firearms — a .40-caliber handgun and a .30-30 Winchester rifle — have been recovered. Because Sargent is a juvenile, Charette declined to refer to him by name but he said Sargent had been arrested on a charge of criminal threatening. He said there is no indication that Sargent ever fired either weapon.

All residents on Crystal Lane and several nearby on Bayside Road were told by police to evacuate the area while Sargent was at large, Charette said. Residents in the wider Bayside Road area were encouraged by police to stay inside and lock their doors. Sargent was nearly a mile away from his home when he was spotted and then captured by police. Bayside Road was not reopened to traffic until about 6:45 p.m.

Sumner Memorial High School in Sullivan, which is about 20 miles away, also was put into partial lockdown during the incident, Charette said. Charette said he thinks the boy may be a student at Sumner but that he was not certain that he is. He did not speculate why the school would have gone into partial lockdown if Sargent was not a student there.

The case remains open, Charette said.

“This is a rapidly evolving investigation. We still have interviews to do,” he said. “There may be other charges forthcoming once the investigation is complete.”

Correction: Due to incorrect information provided by officials, an earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that Sargent is expected to be taken to Charleston Correctional Facility. He will be taken to the Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like