View Newport, Me. in a larger map
NEWPORT, Maine — A house fire located down the street from the fire station was brought under control in 10 minutes on Monday.
Newport EMS Director Amanda Chretien said the Newport Fire Department received a call of a fire at 61 Water St. at about 2:30 p.m. It was extinguished at about 2:40 p.m. The home is located about a quarter-mile away from the fire station on the same street, she said.
“It was pretty cut and dry. I thought it was a quick stop,” said Chretien, adding that a fire hydrant was located across the street from the home.
The fire is suspected to have started by a heat lamp over a hermit crab tank, said Chretien. No one was in the home at the time of the fire and no one was injured.
The fire was contained to the living room and basement, said Chretien.
Three cats, two dogs and a goldfish were rescued, but the hermit crabs did not survive, she said.
Corinna, Detroit, Etna and Pittsfield fire crews also responded to the fire.