Structure fire claims Lubec home

Posted May 08, 2013, at 4:39 p.m.

LUBEC, Maine — A quickly moving fire Wednesday morning claimed the Straight Bay Road home of Robert and Janet Blake. The fire was first reported about 9 a.m. and firefighters were still at the smouldering ruins of the two-story wooden home at 2 p.m. There were no reported injuries.

Garry Moores said he was one of the first people to arrive at the home, which belonged to his wife’s brother and wife.

“I saw fire coming out the front window, sort of in the middle of the house,” Moores said. “They’ve lost everything. It’s a total loss.”

Moores said he went to the fire after noticing heavy smoke hanging over that area of Lubec.

He said the Blakes have two maroon cars of similar style and he was very frightened at first that someone was home because one of the cars was in the driveway.

“I didn’t know if someone was in there or not,” he said. Moores said it turned out that the Blakes were in Machias for a doctor’s appointment when the fire erupted.

“They had just recently renovated the kitchen,” he said. “It was really beautiful in there. They had put a lot of effort and money into that house.”

Moores said he did not know the cause of the fire but that there was a wood stove located in the front room. He said he did not know if the family was insured and that they would likely temporarily stay with an adult son in Lubec.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business