SEBEC, Maine — Forest rangers and firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a small brush fire along the Milo Road on Monday morning.
Kent Nelson, Fire Prevention Specialist for the Maine Forest Service, said a pair of rangers were in the area conducting a stump cruise when the fire was discovered shortly before 10 a.m.
“They were able to get there first and did initial attack and then the Sebec fire chief arrived and [Sebec firefighters] were able to knock it down,” Nelson said.
The fire burned less than an acre, but Nelson said forest rangers are investigating it as suspicious.
“Usually most fires along the road are human-caused,” he said. “It could’ve been anything, from a backfiring car, once in awhile you get a fire started from a cigarette.”
Calm winds were a major factor in preventing the blaze from spreading.
“If that had occurred later in the afternoon and the winds were up, it could’ve spread rapidly,” said Nelson.
Nelson added fire danger statewide is at a Class 4 level, which is very high.
“Without having rain for 2½ weeks now, it’s definitely dry out there,” he said.
There have been several brush fires in Maine in recent weeks.