May 26, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Farm Bill | Memorial Day | Pigs Buried

Baby changing table catches fire in Jay

By Donna M. Perry, Sun Journal

JAY, Maine — No one was injured Sunday afternoon when a lamp on a baby’s changing table caught fire at a house at 2 Spring St. Damage was estimated at about $20,000, Jay fire Assistant Chief Mike Booker said Monday.

About 40 firefighters from six departments responded to the 1:14 p.m. fire at the two-story home of Donald Knight Jr.

Knight’s son Travis Knight came home and smelled something hot, checked the house and discovered the fire, he said. He and his girlfriend, Jessica Baker, were able to get out.

The elder Knight and the younger couple’s baby daughter were not home, Booker said.

There was heavy fire damage to the baby’s room and smoke and water damage throughout the house, he said. Firefighters salvaged most of the contents on the first floor and helped remove guns and a television from the upstairs.

A state fire investigator was called but did not come to the scene, Booker said.

“We found a lamp caught fire upstairs on the baby’s changing table,” he said.

Firefighters from Jay, Farmington, East Dixfield, Wilton, Livermore and Livermore Falls responded to the scene.

NorthStar Emergency Medical Services personnel were also on scene.

The property is insured.

The family stayed with family and friends Sunday night. The American Red Cross is also helping out with baby clothes for the family. He believes they’ll be able to move back in as soon as the place is cleaned, Booker said.

Knight’s Auto, which is on the property, was not damaged, he said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like