June 25, 2018
Baseball Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Tuesday’s Maine college roundup, softball: UMF 5, MMA 4


BUCKSPORT, Maine — Maine Maritime’s three-run rally in the sixth inning fell one run short as fifth-seeded University of Maine-Farmington edged the No. 4 Mariners 5-4 in a North Atlantic Conference softball quarterfinal Tuesday at Bucksport High School.

The Beavers (11-13) play Husson Friday, 10 a.m., in the double-elimination championship round. Maine Maritime ended its season at 14-16.

UMF struck for four runs in third inning after beginning the frame with two outs. Amy Jones stroked a double to left and Shelby Bryant batted her in with a single. Emily Soule reach on an error and Kaitlyn Barlett made the Mariners pay. The senior launched a three-run shot to center field to put the Beavers ahead 4-0.

Maine Maritime got a run back in the third when Sabrina Keach‘s fly ball was dropped in centerfield and Andi Flannery, who singled earlier, scored. UMF made it 5-1 when Haley Berry jacked a solo home run in the fourth.

The Mariners scored three runs in the fourth to make it a one-run game. Haley Rae‘s single plated both Leah Jackson and Keach, who walked and singled, before Abby Yeo reached on an error that scored Cassandra LaFontaine.

UMF had a chance to add another run in the seventh when Shelby Bryant led off with a single and made her way to third with one out. Bartlett flew out to centerfield and Flannery gunned down Bryant, who was trying to score from third, to prevent another run.

Emily Soule retired the Mariners in order in the seventh to end the game.

Soule improved to 6-3 with five strikeouts and three walks. Yeo took the loss with one strike out, two walks and two earned and fell to 9-9.

Colby sweeps USM

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Aimee Polimeno picked up the victory in relief in the opening game and then won the nightcap as the Colby College softball team took 10-9 and 5-3 victories over University of Southern Maine on Tuesday in a non-conference doubleheader.

The Mules (10-4) won the second game in five innings after the plate umpire called the contest because of darkness. The Mules led 5-3 after five innings, but USM (7-29) scored four runs in the top of the sixth inning. With it nearly impossible to see clearly, the plate umpire called the game in the middle of the inning. The rules state that the halted game reverts back to the last completed inning.

Polimeno struck out three and walked none over five innings to earn the second game win.

The Mules led 4-0 after two innings. Brianne Wheeler smacked a two-run single in the first inning for Colby to score Carylanne Wolfington and Emily Schatz. In the second, Wheeler had an RBI single to plate Wolfington and Lindsay Peterson was hit by a pitch and later scored on a USM error.

The Huskies bounced back with three runs in the top of the third inning. Cara Radinio had an RBI triple to score Kristen Duross, who earlier in the inning drove in Jessica Hayden on a fielder’s choice. Katie Davis also had an RBI single that brought in Nicole Nutter.

Tori Sansone hit her first collegiate home run for Colby while leading off the bottom of the third inning for a 5-3 lead. Wheeler had two hits and three RBI, while Erica Pulford had two hits.

Davis and Hayden both had two hits for USM in the opener.

In the nightcap, Polimeno struck out the side in the top of the seventh inning to earn the victory after Lauren Becker went six innings. The Mules won the game in the bottom of the seventh when Meaghan Lewia reached on a one-out single, moved to third when Wolfington reached by error, and then scored on another USM error.

The Mules took a 3-0 lead after two innings thanks to bases loaded walks to Carolyn Bennett and Lewia. Wolifington brought in the other run on a groundout.

Shannon Riordan singled for USM and later scored on an outfield error in the top of the third inning.

The Huskies put up five more runs in the top of the fourth inning on a big two-run triple by Hayden. Lindsey Somerset had a two-run pinch-hit single in the inning and Stefanie Stockwell had the other RBI on a sacrifice fly.

Colby bounced back with six runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a 9-6 lead. Pulford was on second base with two outs when all the damage started. Lewia drove her in with an RBI single and then stole second base. Wolfington walked and Lindsay Peterson was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Emily Schatz had an RBI single to bring in Lewia, Becker walked to plate Wolfington, and Wheeler drove in Peterson with another walk. An infield error by USM scored two more runs and Pulford hit her second single of the inning to drive in Becker with the final run.

The Huskies tied the game in the sixth inning when Radino doubled with one out and Stockwell followed with an RBI double. Stockwell scored from second on a Colby error and Davis had an RBI single to bring in Nicole Nutter.

Lewia had two hits, two RBI, and scored twice for the Mules in the second game. Pulford had three hits, scored twice, and drove in a run.

Hayden also had a single to go along with her two-run triple for USM.


UMass Boston 4, USM 0

GORHAM, Maine — Junior right-hander Lucas Ilges (Gloucester, Mass.) hurled a three-hit shutout as the University of Massachusetts Boston Beacons defeated the #11 University of Southern Maine Huskies 4-0 in a Little East Conference matchup at USM Baseball Stadium Tuesday afternoon.

With the win, the Beacons snap a two-game losing streak and improve to 13-16 overall and 5-5 in LEC play. Southern Maine has lost two straight for the first time this season, and drops to 25-5 overall and 7-1 in the conference. It was the first time the Huskies have been shutout since losing 5-0 to University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on March 27, 2012.

Ilges, who walked only one and struck out six, retired the first nine batters he faced before allowing a hit in the fourth inning as he collected his third win of the season. He improves to 3-3 on the season.

Junior Jose Pena (Boston, Mass./O’Bryant) went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored to lead the Beacons offensively. Senior Matt Consiglio(Southbury, Conn./Pomperaug) was 2-for-4 with a run scored, and sophomore Todd Ezold (Westfield, Mass./Westfield) went 1-for-3 with two RBI.

Senior Anthony Pisani (Cheshire, Conn./Notre Dame), juniorForrest Chadwick (Gardiner, Maine), and freshman Sam Dexter (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) each singled for the Huskies. Southern Maine freshman right-hander Shyler Scates (Jefferson, Maine/Erskine Academy), who pitched 6.1 solid innings giving up four runs on seven hits and only walking one, was tagged with the loss and drops to 2-1 on the season.

The Beacons wasted no time as they put across one run on three straight hits in the first inning before Skates got out of the inning with a double play. Consiglio and junior Jamil Moqeutte (Boston, Mass./Madison Park Technical Vocational) each singled, and Ezold drove in Consiglio from third on a one-out single to take the 1-0 lead.

Ilges cruised through the first three innings and didn’t allow a base runner until Chadwick singled up the middle with one out in the fourth.

UMass Boston made it 2-0 in the third when Ezold drove in Pena on a sacrifice fly to right.

The Beacons added two insurance runs in the seventh increasing their lead to 4-0. Sophomore Ryan Manning (Plainville, Mass/King Philip Regional) was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a single by sophomore Patrick Murphy (Stamford, Conn./Trinity Catholic). Manning was able to moved to third on a Southern Maine fielding error occurring on the same play. USM sophomore right-hander Andrew Richards (South Portland, Maine) came on for Scates to face UMB sophomore Bryan Failla(Torrington, Conn.) who laid down a safety squeeze bunt to score Pena roped a single to right field to drive in Murphy.

Scates retired 11 straight UMB batters between the third and sixth innings before his day ended in the seventh inning.

The Huskies made a bid for a comeback as they loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth, but Igles was able to escape getting a foul pop to Ezold to end the inning.

UMass Boston 6, USM 5

BOSTON — Senior goalie Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) stopped a career high 27 shots as the University of Massachusetts Beacons held on to defeat the University of Southern Maine Huskies 6-5 in a Little East Conference men’s lacrosse match Tuesday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Field.

The win was the second straight, and fourth in the last five games, for the Beacons who are now 6-10 overall and 3-3 in LEC play. The Beacons also clinched their first berth since 2008 in the LEC championship tournament that starts next Tuesday (April 30). The Huskies dropped their third straight to slip to 5-10 overall and 1-5 in the conference.

After a shaky first quarter, Bristol thwarted the Huskies throughout the remainder of the game, particularly in the third quarter when he kept the Huskies off the scoresheet while making 12 saves.

Sophomore Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and junior Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) led the Beacons with two goals apiece. Delpha also contributed an assist. Sophomore Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) had three points on a goal and two assists. Junior Thomas Petitti(Quincy, Mass.) had the other Beacon goal.

For the Huskies, senior Kyle Baker (Kennebunk, Maine) had three points on a goal and two assists. Junior Dylan Kenney (Portland, Maine) scored two goals for the Huskies. Sophomores Dan St. Peter (Windham, Maine) and Kaleb Smith (West Gardiner, Maine) had the other USM goals.

The Huskies split their goaltending chores as senior Ryan Hatch(Cape Elizabeth, Maine) played the opening two quarters making five saves. Freshman Ryan Jurgelevich (Portland, Maine) played the final two quarters stopping six shots and was saddled with the loss.

Southern Maine got off to a great start taking a 3-1 lead in the first quarter on two goals by Kenney and the St. Peter marker. UMB was only able to counter with a goal from McGoff.

After the St. Peter goal with 2:25 to play in the first, Bristol would stone the Huskies’ shooters for more than 40 minutes. The Beacons scored two goals, both by Delpha, in the second quarter to level the score at 3-3 by halftime.

Fichera and Petitti scored within a span of 1:52 midway through the third quarter to give the Beacons their first advantage, 5-3. Fichera’s second marker early in the fourth made it 6-3 and proved to be the game-wining goal.

The Huskies got a spark midway through the final quarter as Smith tallied his seventh goal of the season. Baker gave the Huskies a chance to force overtime scoring with 46 seconds to play in regulation. The Huskies won the ensuing faceoff to have a chance, but were stopped by the Beacons defense.

Emmanuel 9, St. Joseph’s 8

STANDISH, Maine – Fifth-seeded Emmanuel College (7-9, 4-5 GNAC) edged #4 Saint Joseph’s College (7-10, 6-3 GNAC), 9-8, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Men’s Lacrosse Tournament quarterfinal at Westerlea Way Field on Tuesday afternoon.

Trailing 9-4 with just over four minutes to play in the fourth quarter, the Monks employed a sense of desperation and methodically chipped away at the deficit with four unanswered goals. Saint Joseph’s trailed by one with 33 seconds remaining and had a prime opportunity to set up a play during a timeout after an Emmanuel turnover 14 seconds later. But the hosts’ comeback bid would fall just short as the Royal Blue committed a turnover near midfield with time winding down.

For Emmanuel College, the postseason victory is the first in the brief history of either lacrosse program. Emmanuel, which began the men’s program just last year and the women’s team two years ago, will play at top-seeded Norwich University in a GNAC Tournament semifinal contest on Thursday, time TBD. The Cadets toppled #8 Anna Maria College by a 19-6 margin in other conference quarterfinal play this afternoon. For the Monks, the loss signals the end of the 2013 campaign.

Sophomore midfielder Dalton Eldridge (South Gardiner, Maine) led the Monks’ offense with two goals and an assist and sophomore attackman Max Meserve (Kennebunk, Maine) tallied two goals and 10 ground balls in the season-ending loss. Jake Ricciardi (Sharon, Mass.), Austin Watts (Westbrook, Maine), Andrew Sullivan (Rochester, N.H.) and Jeremy Sampsonis (Shrewsbury, Mass.) also scored in the losing effort.

Senior goalkeeper Christopher Driscoll (Saco, Maine) registered 14 saves in goal while Watts and Sampsonis collected eight ground balls apiece and senior defenseman Bert Comins (Newbury, Mass.) added six ground balls and three caused turnovers on the afternoon. Freshman midfielder Jake O’Brien (Andover, Mass.) contributed with five ground balls and four caused turnovers and senior defenseman Bryan Johnson (Brookline, N.H.) chipped in with six ground balls and a pair of caused turnovers in the setback.

Freshman midfielder Chris Curtis (Ashland, Mass.) paced the Saints’ offensive effort with two goals and two assists while dealing a team-high 10 shots and freshman Kaile MacLean-Daley (Moretown, Vt.) produced a pair of tallies for the visitors. Sophomore midfielder Ryan Sabuda (Indianapolis, Ind.) added a goal, two assists and eight ground balls while second-year midi Jake Jaskolski (St. Clair Shores, Mich.) recorded a goal and an assist and Brian O’Regan (Milton, Mass.) and Evan Dolber (Malden, Mass.) netted a goal apiece in the tourney triumph.

Emmanuel sophomore goalkeeper Austin Lauzier (Bedford, N.H.) was quite busy in net and made 19 saves in his team’s first GNAC Tournament victory.

The Monks began the game on the right foot, as Ricciardi broke a scoreless tie with a tally off a Jordan Grant (Windsor, Maine) dish at the 9:08 mark. The lead lasted all of 40 seconds, as Curtis knotted the tourney tilt at one-apiece off a Jaskolski pass with 8:28 left in the first quarter.

The goal seemed to change the complexion of the contest, as the Saints proceeded to pot two additional markers – the first by O’Regan and another by Curtis – to secure a 3-1 lead heading into the second stanza.

Emmanuel added to the lead when Sabuda scored off a Curtis pass 2:25 into the second quarter, but the Monks finally broke a 17-minute scoring drought when Sampsonis caused a turnover near midfield, streaked to the Saints’ cage and beat Lauzier with a laser from about 15 yards out.

Eldridge netted his first goal of the contest 48 seconds later to cut the Monks’ deficit down to 4-3, but Jaskolski tallied a man-up marker off a Sabuda dish with 2:14 before the break to provide the visitors with a 5-3 cushion heading into intermission.

The Saints gained a 6-3 advantage when an SJC defender inadvertently put the ball in his own net 2:16 into the third quarter and made it a 7-3 game when MacLean-Daley scored a man-up goal with 9:53 remaining in the third frame. Curtis was credited with an assist on the power-play tally.

Saint Joseph’s responded just 35 seconds later when Meserve netted a man-up goal of his own to lessen the Emmanuel lead to 7-4 with 9:18 left in the third. The crafty attackman scored just five seconds into the man-up situation with a nifty move, as he faked out Lauzier with a faux pass near the crease and flicked the ball into the cage for an easy goal.

The three-goal game stood for nearly seven minutes, a span during which the majority of play occurred in the heart of the field. The Monks’ deficit quickly turned into five goals however, as Emmanuel received scores from MacLean-Daley and Dolber in a matter of 43 seconds late in the third stanza to claim a 9-4 lead.

Sullivan began the late surge with a goal off an Eldridge pass with 4:05 left and Meserve hit pay dirt off a Dominic Cesarini (Bow, N.H.) feed with 2:21 left to make it a 9-6 game. Watts scored the Monks’ seventh goal of the afternoon on a nice individual effort and, with 33 seconds left, Eldridge made it a one-goal game with a sprinting drive that he capped with a shot to the top left corner of the net.

Ultimately, the impressive late run would fall short as the Saints managed to make a defensive stop on the Monks’ final possession.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like