October 22, 2017
State Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Sanford man suffers serious burns in backyard blaze

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff
Updated:

SANFORD, Maine — A 39-year-old Sanford man was taken to a Boston hospital Tuesday after he was seriously burned while tending his outdoor wood furnace.

Thomas Basinger of 572 Lebanon Road suffered burns to more than 90 percent of his body, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said in a news release Tuesday evening.

Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office believe that a flammable liquid likely exploded as the man was attempting to ignite a fire in the furnace, located in his backyard.

Basinger was taken by ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, McCausland said.

Basinger’s wife, Karie, used a garden hose to extinguish the fire after hearing her husband’s cries for help. Investigators are attempting to determine the type of flammable liquid Basinger was using, McCausland said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like