PORTLAND, Maine — At least three of the individuals among the 176 injured in Monday’s Boston Marathon explosions were from Maine, according to media reports.

Portland NBC affiliate and BDN media partner WCSH 6 reported Tuesday that Falmouth High School graduate Sarah Girouard and former Portland resident Karen Rand Engelhardt were among those hospitalized in the terrorist attack, which killed at least three people near the finish line of the world-famous sporting event.

The Sun Journal of Lewiston reported Tuesday that Auburn native Michelle L’Heureux was also injured when the bombs went off.

In response to the tragedy, Gov. Paul LePage ordered flags across the state to be flown half-staff through April 20.

According to WCSH, Engelhardt, who now lives in Boston, suffered a broken leg and two broken eardrums in the explosions. The television station also reported that Engelhardt was a friend of Krystle Campbell, a Massachusetts resident who has been identified as one of the individuals killed in the attack.

Girouard is reportedly a junior at Northeastern University in the city, and was standing near the flags at the finish line when the first of the two explosives detonated. Her mother, Susan Girouard, was with her at Tufts Medical Center in Boston on Tuesday and hopes to take her home Wednesday, WCSH reported.

“The surgery went well … they removed a lot of shrapnel from her leg and she has a ruptured eardrum, but she’s a trooper,” Susan Girouard told the television station. “Her spirits are good and she has two college roommates with her. One is at her bedside with her who had some injuries but they’re both doing very well. It’s been a tough couple of days, but we’re a lot better off than other so we’re blessed with that.”

L’Heureux’s sister Danielle L’Heureux, told the Sun Journal Michelle was rushed into emergency surgery Monday afternoon and will likely need more surgery still.

Michelle L’Heureux, who has lived in Quincy, Mass., since 1999 and works for John Hancock Insurance, suffered multiple arm and leg injuries, her sister said. She was waiting near the finish line to cheer for her boyfriend when the bombs went off, Danielle L’Heureux told the Lewiston newspaper.

“I just want to see her walk,” Danielle L’Heureux told the Sun Journal. “She’s an absolute sweetheart. She’s the person I call when I need someone to talk to.”

LePage said Tuesday Maine Emergency Management Agency responders are ready to assist in the aftermath of the explosions if necessary. The governor also urged Mainers still looking to connect with loved ones who may still be in the Boston area to call 617-635-4500.

The Boston Athletic Association listed 202 Mainers among the registrants for Monday’s 26-mile race, with 146 of those having crossed the finish line.

The Maine Running Company announced a group run to depart from its Portland store at 6 p.m. Tuesday, with the first mile to be run in silence in recognition of the marathon attacks.

Seth Koenig

Seth has nearly a decade of professional journalism experience and writes about the greater Portland region.