December 18, 2017
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Long Creek | Tax Reform | Opioid Epidemic

Boarding house burns in Kennebunk

By Staff, York County Coast Star

KENNEBUNK, Maine — An unoccupied boarding house for seasonal White Barn Inn employees was damaged by a fire that ripped through its attic just after 6 a.m. Monday morning.

Kennebunk Fire Rescue Chief Steve Nichols said his department received a call at 6:13 a.m. saying Barney’s Boarding House was on fire.

“It was through the roof before we even got there,” Nichols said of the fire. His firefighters, along with crews from Wells and Kennebunkport, were on the scene until after 11, when the state fire marshal left.

“He thinks it was an accidental electrical fire,” Nichols said of the cause of the fire.

Nichols said the 1950s-era building, which was being renovated, had a sprinkler system that protected most of the lower two floors from the fire.

“There were no sprinklers in the roof,” he said, so the fire spread from front to back, destroying the roof. The owners will likely have to put in new rafters, boards and shingles, he said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like