DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A student at SeDoMoCha Middle School has been charged with terrorizing after a bomb threat was discovered, Dover-Foxcroft Police Chief Dennis Dyer said on Wednesday.
The female student, whose name is not being released, was charged with terrorizing, a class D misdemeanor.
“Through our investigation, she admitted to it,” Dyer said on Wednesday. The female was released to the custody of her parents.
A message of a bomb going off a SeDoMoCha Middle School at 3:15 p.m. Friday was written in light ink pen on a girl’s bathroom stall in the middle school on Tuesday, according to RSU 68 Superintendent Alan Smith.
The Dover-Foxcroft Police Department was called into assist, Smith said. The school was searched Tuesday and again Wednesday, but no bomb was discovered, Dyer said.
The message was discovered at about noontime Tuesday, said Smith.
“We followed our standard procedures and protocol,” said Smith. “We identified the student or students involved in the activity.”
Automated phone messages were sent to parents about the threat Tuesday and another was sent Wednesday saying the school had identified the student or students who made the threat. School was not closed either day.
“That was obviously the parents’ choice,” said Smith. “We felt confident with what we did in the building and following our protocol to make sure the school was safe. Parents had the right to not send their child if they wished.”
Smith said he received many different reactions from parents.
“We got some very positive responses and also some very concerned responses,” said Smith. “They wanted to know if their child is safe. That’s our No. 1 priority. All I could do was assure them that we’re doing the best we can and following the procedure and protocol.”
Smith said he takes any threat very seriously, and the punishment can be harsh.
“Anything from suspension to expulsion and including incarceration depending on the level where it goes [with police],” he said. “We do involve police in any of these types of events.”
The bomb threat came on the same day as two other Maine schools.
Richmond middle and high schools were evacuated Tuesday morning after a bomb threat was discovered in a girls’ bathroom. Oak Hill High School in Wales was evacuated after the word “bomb” was discovered written on a wall.
Last week, Kennebec Valley Community College in Fairfield was evacuated after the word “bomb” was discovered in a women’s bathroom in Carter Hall.