AUBURN, Maine — A Newbury Street resident was hospitalized Sunday evening after accidentally shooting himself while attempting to clean his handgun.
According to Sgt. Laurie Woodhead, a 22-year-old man was in his apartment at about 7:20 p.m. attempting to remove a bullet from the chamber of his .40 Glock in order to clean the weapon.
Woodhead said the man was unaware his finger was positioned on the trigger when the gun discharged. The bullet entered his left palm and came out the side of his hand.
He was taken to Central Maine Medical Center by United Ambulance with injuries that were not life-threatening.
The Auburn Police Department found the bullet. No charges will be filed.