THOMASTON, Maine — A family got out safely Thursday night when a fire heavily damaged their home.
The fire was reported at 10 p.m. at the home of Mark and Lauren Lewis on Gleason Street in Thomaston. Fire Chief Michael Leo said Lauren Lewis had gone to bed and heard crackling sounds and smelled smoke. Mark Lewis investigated and pushed up a ceiling tile and saw fire in the attic, the chief said.
The couple got the family out of the house and called 911.
The fire was limited to the attic but there was damage to the ceiling and wiring, he said.
He said a rough estimate on damage to the home was $25,000.
The department called in assistance from Rockland, he said, because the house was a large captain-style residence with a barn. South Thomaston responded by coming to the fire station and manning that while Thomaston crews were at the fire scene.
He said crews remained at the home until midnight.
There were no injuries.
The chief said the fire was caused by electrical wiring in the attic.