June 24, 2018
State Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Determining Molunkus sex offender’s cause of death could take ‘months,’ medical examiner’s office says

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

AUGUSTA, Maine — What killed a sex offender whose body was found Monday night hidden in his Molunkus home may not be known for months, a representative from the state medical examiner’s office said Friday.

“The cause and manner are pending further study [and] it could be months before we have the results,” she said, referring to the autopsy results of Lawrence J. Lewis, 68 of Molunkus.

The medical examiner earlier this week determined his death was a homicide.

While the medical examiner’s representative could not confirm toxicology tests were the cause of the delay, it typically takes months to get drug test results.

Bruce Heal, 59, who also was known as Bruce King and other aliases, used a .30-30 rifle to take his own life Monday night during a four-hour standoff on Interstate 95, but not before telling police he was responsible for the death of Lewis, a lifetime registrant on the Maine Sex Offender Registry.

Heal and Lynda Fogg, 43, who also has a number of aliases, moved in with Lewis in the fall and had recently moved out and been staying with family and at two local motels, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

Fogg also divorced her husband, William Fogg, in February and took her maiden name, Dube, according to court documents filed in Penobscot County. She then married Heal, her fourth husband, on March 1, McCausland said.

She was driving a U-Haul with her armed husband in the passenger’s seat on Monday afternoon when the couple was stopped just south of Lincoln by Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputies, who had been told to be on the lookout for the small rental truck.

She was able to get free from the truck and a couple hours later, after unsuccessful attempts by negotiators for Heal to turn over the weapon, he used the .30-30 rifle to take his own life.

Fogg, who has been interviewed several times, has been cooperative with investigators, McCausland said.

Heal had four felonies on his criminal record that sent him to prison, two burglaries, a theft and an escape from 1981, according to a background check done by the BDN through the Maine State Bureau of Identification.

Lewis was convicted in September 1996 of gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact for sexually assaulting a 9-year-old boy who lived with him, according to previous Bangor Daily News reports. He was sentenced to 14 years in prison with five years suspended and six years of probation after he was released, his background check showed.

Police and medical examiners have not released how long they believe Lewis was deceased before his body was found by investigators or what type of evidence was recovered from his dilapidated house during the two-day search, which ended early Thursday, McCausland said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like