ALLAGASH, Maine — Firefighters from two departments spent approximately three hours battling a blaze early Friday morning that threatened their safety with explosions and leveled a home on Allagash Road.

Crews from the Allagash Volunteer Fire Department and the St. Francis Fire Department managed to save a nearby dwelling from damage, but the home belonging to Lee O’Leary was a total loss, Allagash Fire Chief Sean Lizotte said Friday afternoon. No one was injured.

According to Lizotte, a neighbor first reported the fire just before 1 a.m., and another person called 911 shortly thereafter.

Lizotte said that he requested mutual aid from St. Francis immediately out of concern for nearby properties and the potential for water lines to freeze.

“The home was fully engulfed when we got there, so we concentrated our efforts on trying to save the garage and the nearby property,” he said. “But then an explosion came from within the home, which we think was ammunition. The officer in charge told the firefighters to back away from the scene and we started focusing on saving the neighbor’s house.”

Lizotte said approximately six firefighters from Allagash and six from St. Francis assisted at the scene.

O’Leary was not home at the time of the fire and Lizotte was not immediately sure what sparked the blaze.