June 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Veazie looking for volunteers to fill town committees

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

VEAZIE, Maine — Town officials have put out a call for residents interested in serving in some key committee and board positions.

The most pressing vacancy is an open position on the town’s Budget Committee, which soon will be needed in the annual budget development process, Interim Town Manager Mark Leonard said this week.

Also being sought are people who want to serve on the town’s recently established Board of Assessment Review, said Leonard, who also is Veazie’s police chief.

Former Town Manager Joseph Hayes said in December that the assessment review panel was established earlier in the year at the recommendation of Tax Assessor Ben Birch, who, while preparing for the town-wide revaluation now under way, learned that property assessment appeals were being reviewed by the town’s Board of Appeals.

Ideally, the board would have five members and two alternates, Hayes said.

Noting that the appeals board is responsible for land use, zoning and similar matters, Birch thought it made sense to separate out the work of handling assessment questions and disputes and assign it to a separate body.

Hayes said the property owners who are still unsatisfied after their cases are reviewed by the town board can seek redress in Penobscot County court.

Leonard said that the third group for which the town is seeking members is an informal group whose role will be to help come up with possible reuses for a structurally sound building that is part of the Veazie Dam property.

The dam property has been acquired by the Penobscot River Restoration Trust, which is arranging to remove the dam after it is decommissioned this summer. The dam removal is part of the trust’s effort to restore Atlantic salmon habitat along the Penobscot River.

Also targeted for demolition is the building that houses the turbine, according to Leonard.

Residents interested in any of the openings, which are appointed by the town council, should complete and submit a Citizen Involvement Application, which can be downloaded from the town’s website at www.veazie.net or picked up at the municipal building.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like