Hohlt leaving as Bates’ field hockey coach
LEWISTON — After 15 years at the helm, head coach Wynn Hohlt announced her intention to leave the Bates College field hockey program, effective at the end of the current academic year, the school announced in a press release Thursday.
Hohlt has led Bates’ field hockey program since 1998, guiding the team to ECAC championship play in 1998, 1999 and 2000, and NESCAC championship play in 2002, 2005, 2008 and 2010. In 1999, her second season at Bates, she coached the team to an 11-4 record, the highest win total for the program since 1982.
“I have loved coaching at Bates,” said Hohlt. “I am lucky to have worked with such a fantastic group of colleagues and with wonderful student-athletes over my career. While I know that I will miss aspects of college athletics, it is time to explore new opportunities, and I am looking forward to the adventure ahead.”
Big East all-star games at Hermon Saturday
HERMON — The annual Big East Conference Senior All-Star basketball games and all-league awards will take place at Hermon High School on Saturday.
The girls all-star game is at 1 p.m. and the boys game is at 3 p.m. The league awards will be presented between the two games.
Admission to the games is $5 for adults and $3 for students.
The following individual awards will be given: all-conference, scholar-athletes, Paul Soucy Spirit Award, defensive award, player of the year, and coach of the year. Team awards will also be given to conference champions, runners-up and sportsmanship.
Cowboys’ Austin, Cook restructure contracts
The Dallas Cowboys have restructured the contracts of five players, including wide receiver Miles Austin and center Ryan Cook, the team announced Thursday.
The team also announced it had earlier restructured the contracts of cornerback Brandon Carr, linebacker DeMarcus Ware, tight end Jason Witten. The movers allowed the Cowboys to get under the NFL salary cap before the league year starts March 12.
Austin reportedly moved some of his $6.732 million base salary to a signing bonus over the three years left on his contract, keeping him from taking a pay cut.
No other alterations in contracts were announced.
ProFootballTalk.com reported Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, guards Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings, defensive tackle Jay Ratliff and cornerback Orlando Scandrick are future candidates for restructuring their deals.
Ex-WNBA player Holdsclaw indicted on assault charges
ATLANTA — Former professional women’s basketball player and Olympic gold medal winner Chamique Holdsclaw has been indicted in Georgia on charges that she shot into a player’s car and smashed the windows with a baseball bat, prosecutors said on Thursday.
The six-count indictment issued by a grand jury in Atlanta on Wednesday stems from a Nov. 13 incident involving Holdsclaw and Jennifer Lacy, a player for the Tulsa Shock WNBA team.
Lacy, who said Holdsclaw was her former girlfriend, was driving on a busy Atlanta street when she spotted Holdsclaw in a car behind her, the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office said.
When Lacy stopped her car, Holdsclaw, 35, allegedly began striking the vehicle with a bat and shattered several windows. Holdsclaw then fired a gunshot into the still-occupied vehicle, the district attorney’s office said.
Lacy was not injured in the attack, prosecutors said.
Howard wants to play on 2016 Olympic team
Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard, who missed last summer’s Olympics because of back surgery, said Thursday he wants to play in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
“No doubt,” Howard told ESPNLA.com.
Howard won a gold medal at the 2008 Olympics, but was upset he wasn’t able to repeat in 2012.
“I was mad I couldn’t play in the playoffs,” said Howard, who missed last season’s NBA playoffs with the Orlando Magic because of the surgery before he was traded to the Lakers. “I was mad I couldn’t play in the Olympics. …. I was looking forward to going to London. I was looking forward to making a big run in the playoffs last season, so I wasn’t too happy about the fact that I had to have surgery and miss a lot of basketball.”
Because of injuries to Howard, Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin, Miami center Chris Bosch and Portland center LaMarcus Aldridge, the U.S. won the gold with Tyson Chandler as its main big man.
Dish awarded $4.9M in ESPN licensing dispute
NEW YORK — A federal jury on Thursday found sports programmer ESPN liable for only one breach-of-contract claim made by Dish Network Corp and awarded Dish $4.86 million, a mere fraction of the more than $152 million it had sought.
In a unanimous verdict, the 10-member jury in Manhattan found ESPN liable for breaching a 2005 licensing agreement by allowing rivals to pay lower rates for ESPN Deportes, a Spanish language channel, without extending the same offer to Dish.
But the jury rejected most of Dish’s central claims that ESPN, an affiliate of Walt Disney Co, had breached its contract by giving better deals to rival distributors.
The award comes amid growing friction between distributors and program makers throughout the entertainment industry.
Filed in 2009, the lawsuit centered on the terms of distribution agreements that ESPN had negotiated with Dish and its competitors for channels that included ESPN Classic, which shows re-runs of older sports events, and ESPN Deportes.
Chavez Jr. banned 9 months, fined $900,000 for doping
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was banned nine months and fined $900,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday for failing a drug test after his loss to Sergio Martinez last September, Top Rank Boxing said.
Chavez, 27, tested positive for marijuana after losing a unanimous decision to Argentina’s Martinez in their World Boxing Council middleweight title fight on Sept. 15 in Las Vegas.
The Mexican would regain his active status on June 15, but lawyers for Chavez vowed to appeal what they thought was an excessive fine for what is not considered a performance enhancing drug, said Top Rank, which represents the boxer.
The fine represents 30 percent of Chavez’s $3 million purse for the Martinez fight.
The commission’s decision took into account a failed doping test in 2009 by Chavez in Las Vegas for a banned diuretic.
Chavez was suspended seven months for that offense, which also resulted in a victory by Chavez over Troy Rowland being changed to a no-decision.