PORTLAND, Maine — A dentist’s office on Stevens Avenue was heavily damaged by fire on Tuesday night.
City Spokeswoman Nicole Clegg said firefighters were dispatched to 812 Stevens Ave. shortly before midnight. The two-story building houses a dentist’s office on the first floor and a computer repair facility on the second.
The building’s fire alarms and smoke detectors were all operating properly, Clegg said, and likely prevented further damaged as firefighters were able to get to the scene promptly.
Approximately 30 firefighters battled the blaze, Clegg said. The fire was contained within an hour.
The cause of the fire has been determined accidental due to overheating computer equipment, and nobody was injured in the fire, Clegg said. The building suffered $142,000 in damages while $500,000 worth of equipment from the dental offices were also lost.