June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Bangor detective charged with OUI resigned, acting police chief says

John Clarke Russ | BDN
John Clarke Russ | BDN
Erik Tall
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The veteran Bangor Police Department detective who was charged with drunken driving while on the job last fall has resigned, interim Police Chief Peter Arno confirmed Tuesday.

Arno said that Erik Tall, who had served on the city’s police force for 15 years — the most recent three keeping tabs on Bangor’s roughly 200 registered sex offenders — resigned from the Bangor Police Department on Jan. 10.

After he was charged with operating under the influence on Oct. 3, Tall was placed on unpaid administrative leave and two investigations were launched, Arno said in October.

One was an investigation into Tall’s alleged criminal activity, the OUI charge, by Bangor police, Arno said. The other, conducted by the Brewer Police Department, was a noncriminal internal affairs investigation into his alleged misconduct as a Police Department employee, Arno said. He said the two investigations needed to be kept separate as a matter of law.

The internal affairs investigation ended with Tall’s resignation. The criminal investigation is ongoing, according to Arno.

Tall, who was 39 when he was charged, entered a plea of of not guilty through his attorney, Marvin Glazier, on Nov. 14.

Tall could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

“This resignation came prior to the completion of the internal affairs investigation into the incident in early October of 2012 which resulted in him being charged by this department with operating under the influence,” Arno said Tuesday in a brief written statement.

“Because of the timing of the resignation, there was no final disposition rendered in the internal affairs case. At this time the criminal case is still pending in the Bangor court system,” Arno said.

Glazier said earlier that it is his practice not to discuss his cases until after they are resolved.

Fellow officers were tipped off that Tall had been drinking and went to the Airport Mall on Union Street to check up on him about 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 3, Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said at the time.

Almy said that police used an Intoxilyzer test that showed Tall’s blood alcohol level was 0.13. The state’s legal limit for driving a vehicle is 0.08.

Lt. Mark Hathaway, the city’s interim police chief at the time of Tall’s arrest, charged the detective with operating under the influence, according to a previous report.

Before he joined the Bangor police force, Tall worked for the Orono Police Department and the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office, according to the Bangor Daily News archives.

Tall’s next court appearance is set for March 18, when the court will hear his motion to suppress evidence in his case, Almy said Tuesday.

Tall did not receive a severance package as part of his resignation, according to Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards. However the city did reinstate his normal rate of pay from the date he was placed on administrative leave until the date of his resignation.

If convicted of the OUI, Tall faces the loss of his driver’s license for 90 days and a $400 fine, according to state law.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like