June 21, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

High-speed chase through two counties ends in crash, arrest

By Douglas McIntire, Sun Journal

OXFORD — A high-speed chase across two counties ends in a crash and arrest in Oxford.

Kenneth Dunn, 27, of Auburn was traveling west on Route 121 in a black 2002 Volkswagen Golf at 5:40 a.m. Tuesday, according to a news release from the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Jon Guay of the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Department was traveling east on Route 121 when he clocked Dunn driving at a speed of 65 mph in a 35-mph zone past the Minot Post Office.

Guay reversed direction and attempted to intercept Dunn. Catching up to the vehicle on Route 121 in Poland, Guay attempted to stop Dunn, who only increased his speed.

After crossing the Mechanic Falls line, Guay broke off the chase as Dunn was speeding into town, police said. Shutting off his lights, Guay began canvassing the area for the vehicle and notified the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office that Dunn was last seen heading in that direction.

Less than six minutes later, Sgt. Rickie Jack of the Oxford Police Department spotted Dunn on Sam Rowe Hill Road in Oxford.

According to Jack, Dunn was traveling in excess of 54 mph in a 45-mph zone when the sergeant recognized the vehicle description and turned his vehicle around. Jack said that when he began to turn around, Dunn accelerated “at an extreme rate.”

Dunn failed to stop at the intersection of Sam Rowe Hill and East Oxford roads, traveling at a rate of 70 mph, Jack said.

Jack said he knew that portion of East Oxford Road was gravel and “not safe to be traveling that fast.” He slowed his pursuit and “followed the dust trail.”

The trail ended at a utility pole and a stone wall that Dunn’s car struck. Although the vehicle was demolished and both air bags deployed, Jack confirmed that Dunn was unharmed and attempting to flee the car when the sergeant rolled up on the scene. Jack said he had to draw his weapon to make Dunn give up.

According to a news release, the entire episode, from Guay’s attempt to stop Dunn until his crash and subsequent arrest, took eight minutes.

Dunn was arrested at the scene by Guay on charges of eluding a police officer and criminal speed. He was taken to the Androscoggin County Jail where he was being held on $1,000 cash bail.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like