June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Two arrested after second noise complaint at The Grove in Orono

By Andrew Neff and Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

ORONO, Maine — Police issued disorderly conduct warnings to three tenants of The Grove on Saturday night, then returned to the same apartment two hours later and arrested two of the men and charged the third, Orono police Capt. Josh Ewing said Monday.

Robert Kuni, 23, of Waldoboro; Samuel Chaplin, 22, of Winthrop; and Wesley Labbe, 21, of Lyman share an apartment in the Orono apartment complex that is home to hundreds of University of Maine students.

Police first responded to their apartment at 10:45 p.m., Ewing said.

“At 1 a.m., [the officers] went back,” Ewing said. “There was loud music, loud noise and reports of people leaving the apartment and knocking on other doors.”

Orono police Sgt. Scott Scripture said having to come back to address a complaint a second time is unusual. Even more unusual is an instance when officers come back and the offending parties are still on the scene.

“Usually people heed our warnings,” said Scripture. “It was the same place and the same tenants. They were advised they’d get a summons or possibly an arrest, but then Chaplin said he wanted to be arrested and stand up for his rights, something to that effect.”

So police arrested Kuni and Chaplin and charged both with disorderly conduct, Ewing said.

Chaplin, who allegedly resisted while he went back into the apartment to retrieve his jacket, also was charged with refusing to submit to arrest. Both were taken to Penobscot County Jail in Bangor.

“When they tried to walk him [Chaplin] over the stairs, they had to lift him up because he was dragging his feet,” said Scripture. “They kept arguing about college students having a right to have a party and how people with a family shouldn’t live there.”

Kuni was told to stay outside to take his summons, but he said he didn’t want to stay.

“We told him he had to get his summons first. He decided he didn’t want to wait and went in and slammed the door on us,” Scripture explained.

Labbe, who watched as Kuni and Chaplin were placed into handcuffs, was charged with disorderly conduct but was not arrested because he was cooperative, Ewing said.

Both Kuni and Chaplin had been released from jail by Monday, the police captain said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like