June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Stubborn electrical fire damages Old Town home

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

OLD TOWN, Maine — Aging wiring appears to be the cause of a stubborn fire Saturday night that heavily damaged the roof of a Bennoch Road home.

The fire began shortly after 9:30 p.m., Old Town Fire Chief Steve O’Malley said.

The homeowners, Thomas Ketchen and his wife, whose name was not immediately available, were alerted to the fire by a popping sound coming from the roof area, O’Malley said.

The Ketchens escaped without injury. The fire was reported by their son who lives next door, O’Malley said.

O’Malley said the fire at 1820 Bennoch Road — a one-story former camp that had been converted to a year-round residence — was a difficult one to put out because it was burning in between a metal roof that had been installed over a shingle roof.

“We had a hard time getting at it,” he said, adding that firefighters were at the home until 1:30 a.m. Sunday and had to return later in the morning to deal with hot spots.

Because of the extent of the damage to the building’s roof, ceiling and wiring, repairs will need to be made before the Ketchens can return to their home, O’Malley said. In the meantime, they are staying at their son’s residence.

O’Malley said the house is insured. A dollar estimate for damage was not available Sunday.

Crews from the Old Town, Orono, Milford, Bangor and Alton fire departments and the University Ambulance Corps turned out, the chief said. He said no one was injured in connection with the fire.

Correction: An earlier version of this story contained an error. The homeowners of the Old Town house that was damaged in the fire were Thomas Ketchen and his wife, not Thomas Ketchum.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like