June 23, 2018
Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Saturday’s Maine college roundup, men’s basketball: Husson 102, Thomas 80


Men’s Basketball

Husson 102, Thomas 80

Bangor, Maine — Husson Men’s Basketball swept the season series against NAC opponent Thomas College Saturday afternoon at Newman Gym. The Eagles cracked the 100 point mark for the first time this season winning 102-80.

In an extremely physical game the score hung at 6-4 in favor of Thomas for a few early minutes before Husson started to pull ahead and eventually grew their lead to 47-37 heading into the half. Wes Murphy (Norwich, CT) came up huge with a 4-point play after sinking a 3-pointer, being fouled and making the free throw. That play swung the momentum in favor of Husson for good.

The Eagles continued their dominance in the second half of the game scoring 55 points to the Terriers 43. Brooks Spaulding (Fairfield, ME) scored a game high 21 points with 4 rebounds, in 15 minutes of play. Eric Modica (Kittery, ME) added 17 of his own points, 9 rebounds, and two steals in 29 minutes.

Husson’s bench continues to put up huge numbers, Marc Zaharchuk (Richmond, ME) put up 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Phil Leighton (Naples, ME) added 12 points, 4 rebounds and 1 steal.

Stanley Green Jr. (Dorchester, MA) was the high scoring Terrier of the afternoon with 19 points, 7 rebounds and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Levi Barnes (Skowhegan, ME) chipped in with 13 points and 2 rebounds in 23 minutes of play.

Husson improves to 10-5 on the season, 8-2 in North Atlantic Conference play. The Eagles will travel to Colby College Thursday January 24, for a 7:00 PM non-conference match up.

UM-Farmington 65, MMA 47

CASTINE, Maine — Four players reached double figures to lead Maine-Farmington to a 65-47 win over Maine Maritime Academy in a North Atlantic Conference men’s basketball game Saturday. The Beavers improved to 8-2 NAC, 13-3 overall while the Mariners fell to 3-7, 4-11.

Ben Johnson scored a game-high 16 points for UMF, Andrew Dickey added 13 and Yusuf Iman and Garrett Clemmer both netted 11. Johnson also pulled down 10 rebounds.

Brad Reed paced MMA with 10 points, Ben Russell added nine and Paul Campbell and Logan Poirier added eight points each. Poirier grabbed a team-best 10 rebounds.

Maine Maritime jumped out to an early 7-2 lead, with jumpers by Russell and Ball and a three by Reed, with 15 minutes left in the opening half. The Beavers countered with an 11-0 scoring run, spanning nearly five minutes, to lead 13-7 with 10:10 left before halftime. Andrew Dickey’s three started the run and a Garrett Clemmer jumper bookended it.

Farmington took its largest lead, 20-9, at 5:05 on a Ben Johnson layup before the Mariners ended the half with a 12-2 run to end the half trailing 23-21. Reed netted five in the run for Maine Maritime, Poirier four and Russell three.

The Beavers built their lead to eight, 31-23, on an Iman jumper before the Mariners closed the gap to four, 31-27, on a pair of free throws from Paul and a layup by Poirier. UMF responded with a 10-0 scoring run, with a pair of threes by Iman and Clemmer, two free throws from Johnson and a layup by Andrew Dickey, to 41-27 with 11:11 left in the game.

A three by Campbell at 8:33 got Maine Maritime within seven, 43-36, but that’s was as close as the Mariners would get.

UMPI 121, UM-Augusta 61

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — When Saturday started, University of Maine-Presque Isle men’s basketball player Jordan McLaughlin (Fr./Washburn, ME) had 18 points in his college career. In his teams’ 121-61 win over UMaine-Augusta, he almost doubled that total. McLaughlin hit an incredible 12-15 baskets from the floor including 8-10 from behind the arc to score 33 points in 16 minutes of action.

The Owls pulled back to within one game of .500 with the win, improving to 8-9. UMA fell to 8-11.

Presque Isle went for the knock out punch early, going up 12-2 in the game’s first 3 minutes and at the midway point of the half holding a 38-12 advantage. By halftime the Owls were up 60-26 and Chase Vicaire(Fr./Mattawamkeag, ME) had scored 16 points in 16 minutes.

The second half belonged to McLaughlin and the Owls’ three-point shooters. With 9 points at the break, the rookie guard hit 6-7 on his three-pointers in the 2nd. For the game, Presque Isle hit a school record 21 three-pointers on 39 attempts. The hosts were solid from everywhere, shooting 58% from the floor, 54% on 3’s, and 71% from the free throw line.

Augusta, who will play UMaine-Fort Kent tomorrow, had a trio of double digit scorers led by Joseph Nguyen’s (Orlando, FL) 17. Garrett Alley (Union, ME) pumped in 14 and Arron Cochran (San Antonio, TX) added 11.

On the other sideline, six Owls reached double figures. In addition to McLaughlin’s 33, Mike Warner (Jr./Norwich, UK) followed up on his career high 28 points on Friday night with a 22- point performance against the Moose. Vicaire finished with 22 off the bench and Aaron Hutchins (Jr./East Millinocket, ME) also came off the pine to record 16 points.

Patrick Manifold (Sr./Great Yarmouth, UK) and Claude “Shmoke” Louis (Jr./Union, NJ) round out the list with 11 and 10, respectively.

Amherst 98, Colby 75

AMHERST, Mass. —- The Colby College men’s basketball team could not make it two wins in a row, falling 98-75 to 16th-ranked Amherst College on Saturday in New England Small College Athletic Conference play at LeFrak Gym.

The Mules (5-10 overall, 2-3 NESCAC) took a win at Trinity College on Friday night, but Amherst’s Aaron Toomey was too much for Colby on Saturday. He poured in a career high-tying 34 points on 13-for-16 shooting and added five rebounds and six assists.

Peter Kaasila tallied 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting for Amherst (15-2, 5-0 NESCAC).

Chris Hudnut led Colby with 15 points and Patrick Stewart chipped in 13 points and eight rebounds.

The Jeffs jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead, forcing a Colby timeout just over a minute into the game. With Amherst making six of its first eight field goals, the lead moved to 17-7 with 13:55 remaining.

Colby battled back following a timeout, posting a 7-0 run and drawing within five at 22-17 on a Sam Willson jumper at the 10:47 mark. But Amherst responded with a 6-0 run of its own to pull ahead again and eventually had a 41-26 advantage with 4:15 to go.

The Mules cut the lead to single digits momentarily on a Stewart jumper with a minute to go, but Allen Williamson responded with a driving bucket to put the Jeffs up 46-35 at the break.

Taking over to begin the second, Toomey scored nine of Amherst’s first 11 points to begin the frame, putting the Lord Jeffs up 20 at 57-37. Colby cut its deficit to 13 with a 7-0 run, but the visitors would get no closer as Amherst ran off a 14-4 spurt over the next three-plus minutes.

Wesleyan 61, Bates 51

LEWISTON, Maine — Shasha Brown scored 24 points and Mike Callaghan added 18 as Wesleyan University defeated the Bates College men’s basketball team 61-51 in NESCAC action on Saturday.

Wesleyan’s win broke head coach Joe Reilly’s three-game skid against his former team and improved the Cardinals to 8-10 overall, 2-4 in NESCAC play.

Bates sophomore Graham Safford led another second-half charge by the Bobcats, scoring 13 of his team-high 18 points in the period. Luke Matarazzo shared in the scoring load, scoring 10 of his 16 points in the half. Ed Bogdanovich had a team-high seven rebounds with two steals in the game.

While Bates started out the game missing eight of its first 10 shots, Wesleyan grew a 16-7 lead after nine minutes on the strength of three old-fashioned three-point plays — two of them by Callaghan and the other by Brown. The Cardinals’ lead expanded to 16, at 26-10, with a 10-0 run all by the hands of Brown and Callaghan. Safford’s steal and layup made it 30-17 before intermission, a score reflecting Bates’ dismal 6-of-24 shooting from the field. Callaghan made 4-of-7 from the floor, including his one three-point attempt, for 12 points in the half, with Brown adding nine.

Safford made a three and drove for a layup to start out the second half, prompting Reilly to call a timeout, but Matarazzo added another three out of the break to cut Wesleyan’s lead to 36-25. Safford then missed his next attempt and Wesleyan’s Derick Beresford made a jumper at the other end to return the advantage to 13 at 38-25.

Bates outscored Wesleyan 13-3 over the next six minutes to make it a three-point game at 41-38. Mark Brust kicked off the run with a three-point play, his first points of the game. Wesleyan shot 1-for-9 over that time, while Matarazzo and Safford took turns assisting each other’s 3-pointers. Beresford answered Safford’s three with one of his own, assisted by Calalghan, to end the run and bump Wesleyan’s lead back to six at 44-38 with 7:37 to go.

Both sides appeared fatigued down the stretch, toward the end of their two games in less than 24 hours. Neither team could make much headway offensively, which effectively preserved Wesleyan’s slim lead. After Mike Boornazian’s jumper cut the Cardinal lead to 51-46 with 2:58 to go, Brown attempted all of Wesleyan’s shots the rest of the way. Brown made a jumper with 2:27 left, then found room for a layup with 1:01 to go to make it a nine-point game at 55-46. Brown was fouled three times in the final minute and made 6-of-6 free throws in that time to seal Wesleyan’s victory.

Safford has now scored 13 or more points in 11 straight games — over that lengthy stretch, he has made 29 of 50 attempts from beyond the arc (.580) and averaged 15.5 points per game.

E. Connecticut 87, USM 71

WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – Six players scored in double-figures as the Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors defeated the University of Southern Maine Huskies 87-71 in a Little East Conference men’s basketball game Saturday afternoon at Geissler Gymnasium in Willimantic, Conn.

With its fifth consecutive win, Eastern Connecticut improves to 12-5 and 6-1 in the Little East Conference. The Huskies fall to 10-7 overall and 5-2 in the conference.

The Warriors used a strong second half to earn the 87-71 win. Trailing 41-36 at the half, the Warriors outscored the Huskies 51-30 in the second half, clamping down on Southern Maine defensively to cruise to the win. The Warriors shot a white-hot 68.0 percent (17-for-25) from the field in the second half, including a 5-for-9 mark from three-point range. Conversely, Southern Maine, which shot a solid 55.2 percent (16-for-29) in the first 20 minutes, connected on just 24.4 percent (10-for-41) of its shots in the second half.

The Warriors outscored USM 11-4 in the first three and a half minutes of the second half to assume a 47-45 lead with 16:25 to play and never looked back. Warrior junior forward Mike Garrow (Terryville, Conn.) scored seven of his 15 points in the run, including the go-ahead basket. After Garrow’s go-ahead basket, Eastern Connecticut then rattled off an 11-1 run to distance itself from Southern Maine 57-46 with 13:15 to play. The Huskies were never closer than nine points the rest of the way as Eastern rolled to the win.

Senior forward Tyler Hundley (Cheshire, Conn.) led the Warriors with a double-double on 17 points and 10 rebounds. Senior forward Chris Robitaille (Canton, Conn.) tallied 16 points and had seven rebounds and three assists, while Garrow finished with 15 points, six rebounds and three assists. Joe Ives added 12 points, while freshman guard Trachone Preston (Enfield, Conn.) and junior guard Brian Salzillo (North Haven, Conn.) each tossed in 11 points.

Senior forward Sean Bergeron (Kennebunk, Maine) and junior forward James Odneal (Pontiac, Mich./Bottineau) each scored 16 points to lead the Huskies. Bergeron had a double-double with a game-high 10 rebounds and knocked down four three-pointers. Junior guards Conor Sullivan (Scarborough, Maine) and Brandon Graham (St. Charles, Mo. / Brown Mackie) each scored 13 points.

WNE 62, UNE 60 (OT)

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Senior James Hock (Trumbull, Conn.) broke a 60-all tie on a free throw with 0:19 left, then added another foul shot in the closing seconds to provide Western New England University with a 62-60 overtime win over the University of New England in Commonwealth Coast Conference men’s basketball action Saturday (Jan. 19) afternoon at the Harold Alfond Forum.

Western England snapped a three-game losing streak to improve to 5-10 overall, 4-5 in conference play. The Nor’easters now stand at 3-13, 2-7 in CCC action.

The Golden Bears were able to force overtime when junior Dennis Rinaldi (Harrison, N.Y.) dropped in a layup as time expired in regulation. Trailing by three (60-57) with just under a minute to play in the extra session, WNE evened the score on a three-pointer by senior Damon Alston (New Britian, Conn.) with 0:58 on the clock.

After UNE came up empty on its next possession, Hock gained control of a missed Western New England field goal attempt and was fouled. He missed the front end of the two-shot attempt but buried the next to give the Golden Bears a 61-60 advantage.

The Nor’easters were unable to tie the score on the ensuing trip up the floor despite having a decent look at the basket. UNE was forced to foul with 0:04 remaining, and Hock made 1 of 2. UNE had a desperation heave from halfcourt at the buzzer, but the attempt was off the mark.

Alston had 15 points to lead the way for the Golden Bears. He made three shots from beyond the arc. Rinaldi contributed nine points and seven rebounds, and first-year guard Sinclair Lewis (Bristol, Conn.) had nine points. Sophomore Musa Elsir (Springfield, Mass.) played a solid all-around game, finishing with nine points, five rebounds and three assists.

Rookie Devin Thompson (Winthrop, Maine) scored 13 of his game-high 16 points after halftime to pace the Nor’easters. Charles Fenner III (Bronx, N.Y.) added 11 points and sophomore Jake Abel (Fairfield, Calif.) eight.

Trailing 30-27 at the break, Western New England started the second half with a 11-2 spurt to build a 38-32 lead. UNE responded with seven straight points to re-assume the lead.

The remainder of regulation was back-and-forth with neither team leading by more than five points the rest of the way.

Junior Joshu Butler (Nantucket, Mass.) gave UNE a 55-53 advantage on a layup with 0:27 on the clock. Western New England turned the ball over on its next possession and was forced to foul with six seconds left. UNE failed to convert the front end of a 1-and-1, setting the stage for Rinaldi’s buzzer-beating layup.

In overtime, the Nor’easters failed to convert any of their six field goal attempts, yet still managed to lead until the final minute.

For the afternoon, Western New England out-rebounded UNE, 43-31, including a 17-6 margin on the offensive window.

Trinity 69, Bowdoin 67

Hartford, Conn. – Sophomore center George Papadeas (Athens, Greece) scored a team-high 18 points and added a game-high eight rebounds to lead the Trinity College Bantams to a 69-67 victory over the visiting Bowdoin College Polar Bears in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men’s basketball action this afternoon on Stan Ogrodnik Court in Ray Oosting Gymnasium. The Bantams improves to 8-10 overall and 2-3 in the NESCAC with their first win in three games and their first win over Bowdoin since the 2008 NESCAC Finals. Bowdoin drops to 9-6 overall and 2-3 in the league with its third straight setback.

With the game tied at 61-61 with 2:34 remaining after a jumper by Bowdoin junior guard Matt Mathias (Baltimore, Md.), Papadeas hit a layup and freshman guard Jaquann Starks (Hartford, Conn.) drilled a three-pointer from the right win to give Trinity a 66-61 lead. Polar Bear junior guard Andrew Madlinger (Basking Ridge, N.J.) made three free throws and a three-pointer down the stretch, sandwiched around a pair from the charity stripe by Trinity sophomore guard Hart Gliedman (New York, N.Y.) and Trinity clung to a 68-67 lead with 30 seconds left. Trinity senior captain Mick DiStasio (Yarmouth, Maine) sank one of two free throws, and Bantam sophomoreMickel Simpson (Woburn, Mass.) blocked Madlinger’s bid for a tie from the left side with seven seconds on the clock.

Trinity used a 12-3 run early to turn a 10-9 deficit into a 21-13 lead, as sophomore forward Alex Conaway (New Haven, Conn.)scored five point during the spurt. Bowdoin fought back, tying the score at 27-27 with five minutes left on a bucket by junior center John Swords (Sudbury, Mass.) and taking the lead back at 30-29 with 4:13 on the clock on a trey by Mathias. Leading, 35-34, at the break, Bowdoin extended its lead to 46-36 after a three-pointer by Hurley five minutes into the second half, but tied the contest at 51-51 on a triple from the right wing by rookie guard Rick Naylor (Sudbury, Vt.) at the 8:29 mark, and the teams traded leads over the next six minutes.

DiStasio finished with nine points and three assists, while rookie forward Shay Ajayi (Brooklyn, N.Y.) contributed seven points and five boards off the bench for Trinity. Mathias paced Bowdoin with 18 points, while Madlinger totaled 15 points, four rebounds, and three assists, and Swords and Max Staiger (West Caldwell, N.J.) scored 10 points apiece. Both teams shot over 50 percent from the finals but the teams combined to miss 17 of 42 free throws. Trinity finished with a 29-22 edge on the boards.

Anna Maria 75, St. Joe’s 61

STANDISH, Maine — Anna Maria College topped Saint Joseph’s 75-61, in a rematch of a 2012 GNAC Tournament semifinal contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.

Junior guard Matthew Medeiros netted a game-high 21 points in the losing effort for St. Joe’s (9-6 overall, 5-4 GNAC).

The Monks’ only lead of the afternoon came in the opening minutes when sophomore guard Steve Simonds made his first of six three-pointers to lift his team to a 3-0 edge 43 seconds after tip-off. The visiting AMCATS (8-7, 6-2), who shot 64.3% in the first half and 58.8% for the game, managed to score 17 of the contest’s following 18 points with the help of an 8-9 effort from the floor over the next seven minutes and held a 17-4 cushion after freshman guard Tyler Delorey hit a mid-range jumper at the 12:43 mark.

Saint Joseph’s was able to cut the deficit down to six points (25-19) when senior Julio Vazquez hit a jumper just over six minutes later, but Anna Maria answered with a 16-4 outburst and led by 18 (41-23) with 2:25 remaining in the opening stanza.

Junior forward Nicholas Jobin made a pair of free throws 2:03 before the break and Medeiros sank a three 39 seconds later to make it a 41-28 score in favor of the AMCATS heading into intermission.

Anna Maria senior swingman Anthony Click scored 11 to lead all first-half scorers while Jobin netted seven to pace the hosts in the opening frame.

The second stanza started poorly for the Royal Blue, as Anna Maria junior guard Joseph Barillo outscored the hosts by a 10-3 margin with a trio of trifectas and a FT conversion to lift his squad to a 51-31 lead just three minutes into the latter period.

Despite the discouraging numbers on the scoreboard and the AMCATS can’t-miss shooting performance, the Monks showed they had some fight in them with an impressive 16-0 run over the next five minutes to cut the deficit down to a manageable 51-47 tally. Medeiros and Simonds drained a pair of threes apiece during the encouraging SJC stretch.

A thrilling comeback story was not in the cards however, as Anna Maria turned to senior captain Javier Bristol (Haverhill, Mass.), who scored three buckets in the paint and made a free throw in a matter of 40 seconds, to ratchet their lead up to 58-47 with 11:24 left to play.

The game remained in reach over the following minutes, as Medeiros dropped a three-pointer at the 9:31 mark to make it a 60-52 contest, but the AMCATS would post yet another scoring run – this time a 13-4 outburst over the next five minutes – to all but put the game away.

For the Monks, Simonds went 6-13 from downtown and scored 18 points, Jobin contributed nine points and five boards and freshman guard Jerome Diggs left the bench to tally seven points and four assists in the losing bid.

For the AMCATS, Click tallied 19 points, seven rebounds and five assists, Barillo was perfect (4-4) from beyond the arc and netted 17, Brad Peterson added 13 points and five caroms, and Delorey chipped in 12 points and four boards on the afternoon.

Saint Joseph’s shot 45.8% (22-48) overall, 37.9% (11-29) from downtown and 54.5% (6-11) from the FT line while Anna Maria shot 58.8% (30-51) from the floor, 44.4% (4-9) from three-point distance and 78.6% (11-14) from the charity stripe.

Women’s Basketball

MMA 48, UM-Farmington 38

CASTINE, Maine — Maine Maritime overcame an early deficit to knock off Maine-Farmington 48-38 in a North Atlantic Conference women’s basketball game Saturday. The win avenged a 56-43 loss to the Beavers 11 days ago and improved the Mariners to 5-5 NAC, 7-8 overall. UMF fell to 5-5, 5-10.

Courtney Dufour scored a team-high nine points for MMA and Bekah Campbell and Hanna Lyons each added eight. Leah Jackson grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds.

Lindsay Ranquist netted a game-high 14 points for UMF and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.

Farmington took a 7-0 lead early in the game, with four point from Ranguist and three by Kelsey Graffam, with 16:58 left in the opening half. A pair of Kenni Norton free throws put the Beavers ahead 14-6 with 8:36 left before the Mariners went on a 9-1 run to even the game at 15-15 with 4:40 remaining. Dufour drained a three in the run and Campbell, Mary Badeen and Jillian Perron each netted a bucket. A Lyons layup and Dufour three gave MMA a 20-15 lead with 2:41 left before the break. Ranguist cut into the Mariners lead, 20-17, with a jumper just before the half.

After Rachel Clement put the Beavers within three, 22-19, early in the second half the Mariners went on a 13-2 scoring run and held 37-21 advantage with 10:02 left in the game. Five different players scored in the run for Maine Maritime, led by Badeen and Lyons who each scored four points, Dufour added three and Perron and Jackson scored two each. The Mariners took their largest lead, 46-30, on a pair of Kari Jones free throws and never saw their lead dip below 10 the rest of the game.

Husson 52, Thomas 42

Bangor, Maine — Husson University Women’s Basketball won their 5th straight North Atlantic Conference game, beating Thomas College 52-42 at Newman Gym Saturday afternoon.

In the second meeting between the two teams this season, Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) was the leading scorer for the Eagles; in 22 minutes of play she scored 12 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, and 2 steals. Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) added 11 points, 7 rebounds and 1 steal.

Husson was able to capitalize on 26 Terriers giveaways with 22 points after a Thomas turnover. Husson’s Amanda Johnson (Skowhegan, ME) came up productive off the bench with 6 points, and 2 assists.

Megan Pelletier (Winslow, ME) put up 17 points for the Terriers with 6 rebounds, and 2 steals in 27 minutes of play. Next in scoring was Emilee Reynolds (Newport, ME) who had 9 points and 6 rebounds.

UMPI 66, UM-Augusta 55

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — Playing on short rest, the University of Maine-Presque Isle women’s basketball team overcame a slow start before blitzing the visiting Moose from UMaine-Augusta in the 2nd half en route to a 66-55 victory in Wieden Gym on Saturday afternoon.

The victory made Presque Isle winners of 5 of their last 7 and improved its record to 5-10. Augusta, who entered Saturday’s action ranked #10 in the latest USCAA Division II Coaches’ Poll, dropped to 9-7.

Back on the court less than 18 hours after playing USCAA #1 Daemen College last night, one could almost forgive the Owls for being sluggish out of the gate. Augusta did not fall into that category though as they ran Presque Isle up and down the court early, jumping out to a 9-1 lead. The Moose then were able to keep a comfortable cushion the rest of the half while building a 12-point lead, 27-15, with two minutes remaining.

Just before the deficit could get out of hand, the Owls seemed to awaken from their slumber. Down 29-17 and running out of time in the half, Emily Pelletier (Sr./Fort Kent, ME) and Randi Kaplan (So./Embden, ME) each hit 3-pointers to spark a 7-0 run before the break.

With the deficit a more manageable 5 heading into the final 20 minutes, the Owls kept their foot on the gas pedal. Doni Yendriga (Fr./Conneaut, OH) started a 12-2 run by scoring the first six points of the 2nd half and turning a five point deficit into a six-point lead, 37-31.

UMA did not wilt away from the challenge, however, pulling back to within 1 on three separate occasions, but never regaining the lead. The last time they got that close was after an Allyssa Marson (Augusta, ME) jumper pulled them to within 47-46. Showing their resiliance one more time, the Owls rattled off the game’s next 9 points to go up 10 at 4:29.

The trio of Pelletier, Olivia McNally (Jr./Sherman, ME), and Amanda Hotham (Fr./Fort Fairfield, ME) went 8-8 from the free throw line in the game’s final minute to seal the victory.

Arreonte Lee (San Antonio, TX) led the Moose with 23 points. Marson reached double figures with 12 on 5-19 shooting.

McNally led a balanced Presque Isle scoring attack with 17 points. Pelletier chipped in 13, Randi Kaplan (So./Embden, ME) dropped 12 on 3-4 shooting from long range, and Hotham contributed 12 from the bench.

Amherst 69, Colby 60

AMHERST, Mass. – Colby College guard Diana Manduca shot 8-for-11 from the field and had 24 points as the Mules battled tough in a 69-60 setback to fourth-ranked Amherst College on Saturday at LeFrak Gym.

Manduca, who reached 300 career assists in Friday’s game at Trinity, also had eight rebounds and a pair of steals.

Closing out the game on a 15-4 run, the Mules got as close as eight in the waning moments of regulation, but down by as much as 19.

Marcia Voigt paced the Jeffs (17-0 overall, 5-0 NESCAC) with 18 points on 8-for-16 shooting, while Cheyenne Pritchard netted 12 points. Savannah Holness scored 10 of her 13 points in the second half, while Haley Zwecker rounded out the list of Jeffs in double figures with 10 points and four rebounds.

Brooke Chandor added 13 points, four assists and three boards for the Mules, while Desi Smith had 11 points and five rebounds. Chandor shot 3-for-6 from 3-point range.

Trailing 10-4 after the first five minutes, Amherst sliced the lead to one on a Jasmine Hardy basket coupled with a Holness triple. Down four after a Chandor three at 10:15, the Jeffs reeled off a 16-2 run over a span of 3:25, building a 27-17 cushion on a Bridget Crowley bucket.

Manduca ended a nearly four-minute Colby field-goal drought with a three-pointer at 5:55, but Amherst closed out the half on a 17-7 run for a 44-27 margin.

Opening the second half scoring with a basket on Colby’s first possession, Gabe Donahue kicked off an 8-2 run over a span of 4:08, trimming the deficit to 46-35. Voigt and Holness answered with consecutive baskets that pushed the lead back up to 15, but the Mules responded by scoring 10 of the game’s next 14 points to pull within nine on two Smith free throws.

Netting six of the Jeffs next 10 points, Holness staked the Jeffs to a 64-45 lead at 6:01 after intercepting a pass at half court and coasting in for an easy two. Continuing to battle, the visitors cut it the margin to 11 on a Chandor three from the right wing and a Manduca bank shot in the lane inside of three minutes. Jen Nale made it 68-60 with a three with just 32 seconds left, but the Mules ran out of time.

So. Maine 69, E. Connecticut 55

WILLIMANTIC, Conn. – Seniors Haley Jordan (Falmouth, Maine) and Jordan Grant (Concord, N.H.) each scored 18 points to lead the 13th-ranked University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 69-55 women’s basketball win over Little East Conference rival Eastern Connecticut State University Warriors Saturday afternoon at Geissler Gymnasium in Willimantic, Conn.

With the win, Southern Maine remained undefeated at 17-0 overall and 7-0 in the Little East. The Huskies’ 17 consecutive wins is the best start in program history surpassing USM’s 16-0 start during the 1987-88 season – Head Coach Gary Fifield’s first season 25 years ago. The Warriors fall to 5-12 overall and 3-4 in the conference.

Both Grant and Jordan shot well from the field. Grant was 6-for-9 from the field and a perfect 6-for-6 from the free throw line, while Jordan was 7-for-9 from the field including a 3-for-3 mark from three-point range. Senior guard Nicole Garland (Portland, Maine/Deering) added 14 points and a career-high seven rebounds and junior guard Erin McNamara (West Newbury, Mass./Pentucket Regional) tossed in 11 points to compliment three assists and a game-high four steals.

Sophomore forward Shannon McCourt (New Fairfield, Conn.) led the Warriors with a game-high 22 points and eight rebounds. Freshman guard Jill Ritrosky (Pittsfield, Mass.) added 11 points and eight rebounds, while freshman forward Brianna Leonard (Amherst, Mass.) added eight points and game-high 11 rebounds.

Jordan scored 11 of her 18 points in the first half as the Huskies mounted a daunting 35-16 lead at the break. The Huskies shot a solid 44.4 percent (12-for-27) in the first half, knocking down five threes led by three from Jordan. Southern Maine was equally as effective on the defensive side of the ball, limiting the Warriors to just four first half field goals on a 4-for-22 performance from the field (18.2 percent). The Huskies’ scored 12 of their 35 first half points off of 11 Eastern turnovers.

The Huskies continued to click offensively to open the second half, outscoring Eastern Connecticut 13-6 in the opening five minutes to grab its largest lead of the game, 48-22. Garland scored six of her 14 points in the opening series knocking down a pair of threes.

Southern Maine remained in control and led by as many as 20 points, 62-42, with 5:01 to play before the Warriors showed some life and cut the Husky advantage to 12 points, 64-52, with 1:33 to play with a 10-2 run. McCourt and sophomore guard Kristina Forsman (Newington, Conn.) each scored six points in the run. Any thoughts of a Eastern Connecticut comeback were quickly halted, however, when Jordan drove the lane for a left-handed layup and earned the and-one at the free-throw line for 67-52 lead with 55 seconds to play.

St. Joseph’s 73, Anna Maria 46

STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (9-7, 3-2 GNAC) defeated Anna Maria College (4-12, 0-3 GNAC), 73-46, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women’s basketball action at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon. Freshman center Morgan Cahill (Yarmouth, Maine) registered her seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and 10 rebounds in the victory.

Trailing 11-5 after AMCATS junior Taylor Walker (Winchendon, Mass.) made a layup 4:29 into play, the Monks proceeded to rattle off 11 unanswered points to claim a lead that would not be relinquished for the remainder of the afternoon.

The hosts utilized the long-ball to get over the hump, as junior Abby Young (North Yarmouth, Maine) hit a three-pointer to make it a one-point game at the 15:04 mark and senior Danyelle Shufelt (Sutton, Vt.) drained trifectas on consecutive trips down the floor to cap her team’s outburst and lift the Royal Blue to a 16-11 advantage with 13:06 before the break.

Anna Maria was able to remain in play and trailed by six (23-17) when sophomore Katie Pryor (Whitinsville, Mass.) connected on a shot from beyond the arc with 8:39 left in the first half. As it played out, Pryor’s field goal would be the AMCATS’ only bucket over the following 8:38, as a pair of Brooke Denver (New Britain, Conn.) free throws was all the offense the visitors would muster before Liz Sama (Windsor, Conn.) drilled a three-pointer at the first-half buzzer. In the meantime, the Monks scored 15 points and carried a comfortable 38-22 cushion into intermission.

Shufelt led all first-half scorers with 10 points, while Pryor paced the AMCATS with nine over the opening 20 minutes of play. Walker pulled down 10 rebounds for the visitors before the break.

Saint Joseph’s quickly extended the lead to 20-plus points early in the second stanza and held a game-high 30-point (67-37) advantage after junior Skyler Makkinje (Hillsboro, N.H.) made a freebie with 4:07 remaining in the conference contest.

For the Monks, Shufelt netted 17 points and collected three steals, senior forward Alyssa Grigware (Biddeford, Maine) left the bench to produce 10 points and five rebounds, and Young contributed eight points and a pair of blocked shots. Junior point guard Mackenzie Dufour (Augusta, Maine) enjoyed a productive afternoon with six points, six assists and five steals and freshman guard Shannon McFayden (Ipswich, Mass.) registered seven points, three steals and a pair of boards in the victory.

For the AMCATS, Pryor went 4-5 from three-point land and scored 16 with five rebounds, Walker tallied eight points and a game-high 13 caroms, and Cummings chipped in six points and three steals in a losing effort.

Overall, Saint Joseph’s shot 38.8% (26-67) from the floor, 25% (5-20) from downtown and 76.2% (16-21) from the FT line while Anna Maria shot 34.1% (15-44) from the field, 33.3% (5-15) from three-point range and 52.4% (11-21) from the charity stripe.

The Monks netted 32 points off 27 Anna Maria turnovers and held sizeable advantages in both points in the paint (36-14) and bench points (30-11) on the afternoon.

Bates 80, Wesleyan 78

LEWISTON, Maine — Brianna Hawkins’ putback beat the final buzzer to lift the Bates College women’s basketball team to an 80-78 thriller of a victory over Wesleyan University in NESCAC play on Saturday.

Hawkins also blocked the would-be go-ahead shot by the Cardinals with 29 seconds left and corralled the rebound to give Bates its final possession, with the score at 78-78, the 13th tie of the back-and-forth contest. After a timeout, Molly Brown lofted a three-point attempt with four seconds left in the game. The ball skittered to Hawkins, who got off her short layup underneath just before the backboard lit up with red lights.

Brown scored a game-high 27 points with nine rebounds for Bates, while Meredith Kelly added 23 points — career highs for both players. Kelly, who also blocked three shots and grabbed seven rebounds, made 11-of-12 free throws in the game while Brown sank all eight of her attempts, as Bates shot 30-for-34 from the line as a team (.882).

Bates (9-8, 3-3 NESCAC) won for the fourth time in the past five games. Wesleyan (8-8, 1-5 NESCAC) suffered its fourth straight loss.

Karly Finison led Wesleyan with 16 points and grabbed six rebounds off the bench. Cherkira Lashley added 13 points and a team-high seven boards, and Kendra Harris chipped in with 10 points.

Finison’s jumper with four seconds to go in the first half gave Wesleyan a 41-40 lead at the break. Finison had 11 points in the period while Wesleyan outrebounded Bates 25-17. Brown came off the bench to pour in 12 points and grab five rebounds for Bates, while Kelly also proved a bane to Wesleyan with nine points and four boards.

The lead changed hands seven times and neither team led by more than four points over the final 20 minutes. Kelly and Brown both made repeated trips to the foul line, combining to make all 14 of their free throws in the period as Kelly tallied 14 points and Brown 15 — 29 of Bates’ 40 points in the period.

With under three minutes left to play, Wesleyan’s Dreisen Heath rebounded a Bates miss, then made a layup and was fouled to cut Bates’ lead to 75-74. Heath missed her free throw, but Lashley rebounded the miss and made the putback to give Wesleyan a 76-75 edge.

Julia Rafferty’s steal made up for a missed three by Brown, and Taryn O’Connell was fouled with 2:15 to go. O’Connell made both foul shots for a 77-76 Bates lead, and after a Wesleyan miss, Rafferty made 1-of-2 free throws to make it 78-76. With 1:30 to go, Wesleyan’s Amber Wessells was fouled by Brown and made both of her foul shots to tie the game up again at 78-78.

Wesleyan’s defense forced Bates let the shot clock expire on its next possession, and the Cardinals called timeout with 41 seconds left. Wesleyan got a driving layup attempt out of the timeout, but Hawkins was there for the blocked shot, returning the ball to Bates for the final possession.

Trinity 46, Bowdoin 43

HARTFORD, Conn. – Christina Raiti hit a game-winning three-pointer with under 10 seconds remaining to give the Trinity College women’s basketball its first win over Bowdoin since 2000 in a 46-43 victory on Saturday afternoon.

The Bantams improved to 12-5 (4-1 NESCAC) by snapping their 16-game losing skid to the Polar Bears. Bowdoin stands at 8-8 (1-4 NESCAC) after the loss.

Kaitlin Donahoe scored a game-high 16 points in the loss for Bowdoin. Shannon Brady pitched in nine points, seven rebounds and four blocks while Nina Hadzibabic had nine points off the bench for the Polar Bears. Hannah Brickley led Trinity with 13 points in the win.

Brickley scored 12 of her points in the opening half for the Bantams as the Polar Bears shot just 24% and trailed 28-16 at the break. Bowdoin jumped back into the game with a 15-2 surge after halftime, sparked by seven points from Donahoe, including two three-pointers, and took a 31-30 lead on a Brady jumper with 9:44 to go.

Trinity reclaimed the lead on a Christina Raiti three-pointer on the next possession. Bowdoin rebounded to take the lead on a Donahoe jumper, 36-34, with 5:50 remaining, and still held a 40-36 edge with 3:21 on the clock. The Bantams used a 6-0 surge to take a 42-40 advantage with under a minute to play, but Donahoe hit a free throw and Brady nailed a lay-in for Bowdoin to give the Polar Bears a 43-42 edge.

On the ensuining possession for Trinity, Raiti connected from long distance to give the hosts a 45-43 edge. Bowdoin had several chances to regain the lead in the closing seconds, but missed a three late chances and Trinity hit a late free throw to seal the win.

UNE 76, WNE 55

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Senior Beth Suggs (Bath, Maine) led four University of New England players in double figures with 16 points, as the Nor’easters ran their win streak to seven with a 76-55 Commonwealth Coast Conference victory over Western New England University Saturday (Jan. 19) afternoon at the Harold Alfond Forum.

The win improves the Nor’easters’ overall mark to 12-4 while upping their unblemished conference ledger to 9-0. The Golden Bears now stand at the .500 mark for the season at 8-8 (5-4 CCC). UNE has won the last eight meetings between the two squads.

Suggs’ 16 points came thanks in part to a 6-for-6 effort at the free throw line. She grabbed 10 of her game-high 13 rebounds in the first half en route to her fifth consecutive double-double and 11th in 16 contests. Suggs also had three of the Nor’easters’ 13 steals.

UNE rookie Sadie DiPierro (South Portland, Maine) matched her career best with 13 points, including three 3-pointers. Sophomore Kelly Coleman (Portland, Conn.) was 8 of 8 at the charity stripe to finish with 12 points to go with six boards and four steals, while first-year Alanna Vose (Cushing, Maine) added 11 points and four assists. Vose was 3-for-3 from beyond the arc. Senior Liz LeBlanc (Jay, Maine) also nailed a trio of three-pointers to finish with nine points. First-year point guard Meghan Gribbin (Windham, Maine) chipped in a game-best six assists.

For Western New England, senior Emily Savino (Ellington, Conn.) led all scorers with 17 points. Junior Nicole Daly (Massapequa, N.Y.) had 12 points and first-year Chelsea Vujs (Berlin, Conn.) added eight points, seven rebounds and five steals.

The Nor’easters led 37-28 at halftime despite shooting just 31.3 percent (10 of 32) for the frame. UNE collared nine offensive rebounds, leading to 11 second-chance points to help build its advantage.

Big Blue scored the first five points of the second half to push its lead to double digits. DiPierro knocked down a trey, and Gribbin converted a fastbreak layup to get the hosts going out of the locker room.

The Nor’easters maintained a double-digit cushion the remainder of the afternoon, with their lead cresting at 21 on three occasions, including the final tally.

UNE found its shooting eye after halftime, converting 54.2 percent (13 of 24) from the floor in the second half. For the game, the Nor’easters were 21 of 24 (87.5 percent) at the free throw line and made half of their 18 three-point attempts.

Western New England, which shot a solid 46.9 percent (23 of 49) for the contest, returns to action Wednesday (Jan. 23) at Gordon College (7:30 p.m.).

Women’s Hockey

Maine 3, Vermont 2 (OT)

Orono, Maine – Missy Denk (Poplar Grove, Illinois) scored 1:44 into the overtime period to give the University of Maine women’s ice hockey team the 3-2 victory over Vermont. With the win, the Black Bears improve to 4-17-2, 1-10-1 in WHEA while the Catamounts fall to 6-13-3, 4-4-3 in WHEA.

Vermont notched the first two goals of the game via sticks of Sarah Campbell and Kellie Dineen. Erin Wente and Danielle Rancourt registered assists on the first goal while Megan Dalbec and Dayna Colang notched assists on the second.

Brittney Huneke (Hastings, Minnesota) got the Black Bears on the board first with a one-timer at 10:11 of the second period making the score 2-1 in favor of Vermont. Brittany Dougherty (Chesterfield, Michigan) passed the puck from the goal line across the ice to an open Chloe Tinkler (Wabush, Newfoundland) waiting at the top of the offensive zone, Tinkler wasted little time as she dished the puck back across the ice to a wide-open Huneke to beat the goalies pad for her third goal of the season. Tinkler notched her fifth assist of the season while Dougherty picked up her 15th.

Hailey Browne (Oakville, Ontario) notched her first goal as a Black Bear at 9:11 of the third period to tie the game a 2-2. Dougherty carried the puck up the right side of he ice into the offensive zone in a two on one opportunity, Dougherty dished the puck across Browne, Browne immediately passed it back to Dougherty who took the shot, Browne managed to find the rebound and poked it passed the outstretched goalie. Dougherty tallied her 16th assist of the season on the goal.

Denk notched her first goal of the season in phenomenal fashion. Her goal came at 1:44 of the overtime period on a power play opportunity. Tinkler passed the puck down from the top of the zone, finding Denk in the slot for the go ahead goal. Tinkler picks up her sixth assist on the goal.

Brittany Ott (St. Clair Shores, Michigan) anchored the Black Bears between the pipes, allowing two goals while registering 23 saves in the 3-2 win. Ott sees her record improve to 4-10-2 on the season.

The Black Bears held a 44-25 shot advantage over the Catamounts. Vermont outshot Maine 9-6 in the first period. Maine outshot Vermont 25-5 in the second, 13-11 in the third, and 2-0 in the overtime period.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like