June 24, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Madison home destroyed by fire Friday morning

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

MADISON, Maine — Faulty wiring in an attic is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a home in Madison on Friday morning.

Madison Fire Chief Roger Lightbody said the blaze was reported at 3:15 a.m., and the upstairs of the two-story home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene at 104 Madison Ave.

An elderly couple who lives at the home were woken up by the smell of smoke and smoke alarms blaring, Lightbody said. The fact that the couple’s bedroom is on the first floor may have saved their lives.

“They grabbed their dogs and got the hell out,” Lightbody said.

Crews from Madison, Anson, Norridgewock, Skowhegan and Industry battled the fire while Solon covered Madison’s station, according to Lightbody.

The couple’s son, who lives in a trailer next door, noticed the flames and called 911, the chief said. He had entered the house after his parents and their pets had escaped.

“He tried to go upstairs but he couldn’t get up there, there was so much fire,” Lightbody said.

The house, which was not insured, was destroyed in the fire, Lightbody said. The homeowners are staying with their son in the meantime, he added.

Frigid temperatures, which hovered around zero overnight, gave firefighters a bit of trouble, Lightbody said.

“It was cold for the firefighters and our cascade system kept freezing up, and gauges on the trucks kept freezing,” the chief said.

Lightbody said a couple of firefighters were treated for minor injuries at the scene due to slipping and falling on frozen water.

The chief added he plans on contacting the Red Cross to provide assistance to the homeowners.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like