June 25, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Attorney general: Man killed on Elm Street was stabbed in self-defense

Anderson & Son Funeral Home | Courtesy photo
Anderson & Son Funeral Home | Courtesy photo
Jeffrey LeBlanc
By Andrew Catalina, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The Maine attorney general’s office has determined that the fatal stabbing of a Massachusetts native in late December was in self-defense.

Jeffrey S. LeBlanc, 34, was mortally stabbed in the abdomen Saturday, Dec. 29, after reportedly getting into a fight with a tenant at an Elm Street apartment about the synthetic drug bath salts.

The state medical examiner’s office determined the manner of death to be homicide, and the attorney general’s office took over the investigation. According to a Thursday morning press release, the attorney general has declined to prosecute, closing the case after finding “legitimate issues of self-defense and defense of premises.”

Police went to 80 Elm St. at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, after receiving a report that a man had been stabbed there. They found a trail of blood in the snow and an injured LeBlanc, who was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center and died late Saturday morning, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said.

According to the Thursday release, LeBlanc had become aggressive toward a resident. LeBlanc caused multiple facial injuries to the resident, who tried to fend off LeBlanc, but the assaults continued. The resident stabbed LeBlanc once in the side of the abdomen in what the attorney general’s office has called an act of self-defense.

Tina Girouard, who identified herself as LeBlanc’s wife, told the Bangor Daily News on Monday, Dec. 31, that the stabbing was “drug-related. It’s monkey dust.”

Bath salts, a hallucinogenic stimulant drug that first emerged in Maine in early 2011, is called “monkey dust” on the streets of Bangor. It has caused users to hallucinate, convulse, have psychotic episodes and thoughts of suicide, police have said.

Girouard said LeBlanc started using bath salts less than a week before his death, and that he was arguing with a man who lives at 80 Elm St. just before he was stabbed. She also said she watched as the tenant and others inside the apartment smoked the street drug using folded tinfoil.

Girouard said she and LeBlanc moved to Bangor from Massachusetts five months ago to get away from crack cocaine — the couple’s drug of choice — after finding out she was pregnant.

Thursday’s release revealed that in an unrelated incident, LeBlanc was reported to police the night before the stabbing after allegedly trying to enter homes and moving vehicles. A Bangor police officer found LeBlanc about 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 28, with his face covered in blood, and LeBlanc told the officer he was beat up but refused to cooperate. The officer gave LeBlanc a ride to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he refused treatment, walking out about 1 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, just an hour and a half before he was mortally injured.

BDN writer Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like