June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Bangor stabbing investigation continues; funeral arrangements set for victim

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The Massachusetts native who was mortally stabbed in the abdomen Saturday after reportedly getting into a fight with a tenant at an Elm Street apartment about the synthetic drug bath salts will be laid to rest on Saturday in the Bay State, his obituary states.

Bangor police continue to investigate the stabbing of Jeffrey S. LeBlanc, 34, and are still looking for witnesses to come forward, Sgt. Paul Edwards said Wednesday.

“If anybody heard anything or saw anything, we would appreciate a call,” he said.

Police went to 80 Elm St. at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday after receiving a report that a man had been stabbed there. They found a trail of blood in the snow and an injured LeBlanc, who was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center and died late Saturday morning, Edwards said.

Tina Girouard, who identified herself as LeBlanc’s wife, told the Bangor Daily News on Monday that the stabbing was “drug-related. It’s monkey dust.”

Bath salts, a hallucinogenic stimulant drug that first emerged in Maine in early 2011, is called “monkey dust” on the streets of Bangor. It has caused users to hallucinate, convulse, have psychotic episodes and thoughts of suicide, police have said.

Girouard said LeBlanc started using bath salts less than a week before his death, and that he was arguing with a man who lives at 80 Elm St. just before he was stabbed. She also said she watched as the tenant and others inside the apartment smoked the street drug using folded tinfoil.

Girouard said she and LeBlanc moved to Bangor from Massachusetts five months ago to get away from crack cocaine — the couple’s drug of choice — after finding out she was pregnant.

Detectives with the police department’s Criminal Investigations Division are working on the homicide case with the Maine attorney general’s office, which would prosecute anyone charged, Edwards said.

LeBlanc died from a stab wound to the abdomen and his death has been ruled a homicide, Mark Belserene, a spokesman for the state medical examiner’s office, said Monday.

Edwards said he could not say whether a weapon was recovered from the scene.

“I can say evidence was recovered from the scene, [but] I can’t get into specifics,” the sergeant said.

LeBlanc, who has a twin brother, was born in Waltham, Mass., to Paul J. LeBlanc and Lori (Dunlop) LeBlanc, his obituary states. He grew up in Waltham and Acton and graduated from Acton Boxborough Regional High School before moving to Ayer 10 years ago.

He enjoyed fishing and is survived by his parents, a stepmother, his twin brother, Jason P. LeBlanc of Leominster, Mass., and his sister, Kelly Pierce of Waltham, as well as several cousins, aunts and uncles.

His funeral is scheduled for 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the T.J. Anderson & Son Funeral Home, 25 Fitchburg Road in Ayer, Mass.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like