Fire from faulty chimney leaves Woodville man homeless

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 26, 2012, at 1:41 p.m.

WOODVILLE, Maine — Fire within a faulty chimney caused a Christmas Day disaster for a Woodville Road man when it destroyed his home, East Millinocket Fire Department Capt. Peter Larlee said Wednesday.

Richard Perry of 954 Woodville Road was watching television at about 11:20 p.m. Tuesday when he noticed that something was wrong, Larlee said.

“I don’t know if he heard a sound or what, but when he ran out, the back of the building was on fire,” Larlee said Wednesday.

Larlee said he believes that Perry called 911 immediately, but when firefighters arrived about 10 minutes later, the back wall to the one-story trailer and addition was already burnt away. Flames were tearing into the rest of the building, which had a partial cellar, he said.

“She was fully involved,” Larlee said.

The scene’s commanding officer, Larlee called for mutual aid from the Medway Fire Department. Medway added six to eight firefighters to the eight to 10 firefighters from East Millinocket, which covers Woodville, he said.

Mattawamkeag firefighters covered for Medway for the duration of the emergency, which lasted until about 3:30 a.m., Larlee said. No injuries were reported despite the icy conditions.

Perry said he had lived in the building for 15 years. The structure probably lacked fire stops in its walls or other impediments to the flames, Larlee said.

The building’s contents were destroyed and Perry was housed by the American Red Cross at a hotel in Millinocket, Larlee said.

“There were roofs built over roofs. It was an old building,” Larlee said. “I’m not sure how much more they [Red Cross officials] are going to help him out, but he has nothing.”

https://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/26/news/penobscot/fire-from-faulty-chimney-leaves-woodville-man-homeless/ printed on July 10, 2014