CARIBOU, Maine — An 8-year-old girl who has been in a Boston hospital for more than a month after suffering serious burns on Nov.11 is returning home Saturday, according to her grandmother.
Elsie Lint of Orono said that her granddaughter, Jasmine Long, is looking forward to getting out of Shriners Hospital in Boston.
“They are having a little farewell party for her today,” Lint said Friday afternoon. “She is doing better and is in good spirits.”
Long was in her apartment in Caribou on Nov. 11 when her T-shirt and sweatshirt caught on fire. Lint said that the family is still a bit unsure how the accident happened, but they believe that the girl was playing with an aerosol spray can of Halloween hair dye near a flame.
Her father, Scott Long, was not yet out of bed when he heard his daughter screaming and ran into the kitchen to find her clothes on fire.
She was taken by ambulance to Cary Medical Center in Caribou and then flown later on Nov.11 to Maine Medical Center in Portland.
On Nov. 12, she was transferred to the Shriners Hospital in Boston for continued treatment of second degree burns to her torso and arms.
Lint said that her daughter and Jasmine’s mother, Heidi Lewin, has been in Boston with the girl. Lewin lives in Orono. She told Lint that Jasmine has been out of bed and playing over the past few weeks.
“She will have to return to Boston for continued treatment from time to time,” said Lint. “And she faces additional surgeries, but at least she is coming home.”
Lint said that the family is grateful for the prayers and support since the accident.