KENNEBUNK, Maine — Over two holiday-shortened weeks, Kennebunk police charged another four more men with paying for sex at an alleged prostitution business in the town, bringing the total number of alleged johns in the scandalous case to 62.
Today’s announcement was the fourth biweekly installment in the incremental release of alleged johns’ names in this high profile case, which has garnered global media attention. The previous three releases identified a total of 54 men accused of being clients of Alexis Wright, who police believe ran a prostitution business out of her Kennebunk fitness studio alongside Thomaston businessman Mark Strong.
Both Wright and Strong have pleaded not guilty to a slate of charges stemming from the alleged operation.
The latest four men to be charged in the case are:
Daniel A. Meyer, 41, of Raymond; David F. Burley, 47, of Biddeford; Christopher Cutshall, 52, of Portland; and Roger C. Larson, 58, of Harrison.
Another four men preemptively pleaded guilty to the charge of engaging a prostitute and did not appear in the biweekly list of summonses, bringing the number of alleged johns before Monday up to 58.
Lt. Anthony Bean Burpee of the Kennebunk Police Department said only four men were charged over the past two weeks in the case because of holiday-shortened weeks. Between 15 and 21 men were charged during the previous biweekly intervals.
“Since the last release of the Kennebunk Police Department’s biweekly blotter on Nov. 9, 2012, there have been two shortened weeks due to Veterans Day and Thanksgiving, which makes it difficult for investigators to schedule interviews with alleged suspects,” Bean Burpee said in a statement. “Additionally, investigators have been busy the past two weeks preparing information for attorney requested discovery material in order to meet court-imposed deadlines. Preparation of paperwork and investigations are two very time-consuming tasks. The investigation into the police department’s ongoing cases continues, and criminal summonses will be issued as individual cases are processed.”
Investigators have said Wright kept meticulous records, including a client list with more than 150 names on it. At the current rate, the incremental release of alleged clients could drag on another two months.
Thus far, the list of men previously charged includes former South Portland Mayor James Soule, former Kennebunk High School hockey coach Donald Hill, local lawyer Jens Bergens, former Portland Planning Board Chairman Joe Lewis and former Church of the Nazarene Pastor James Andrew Ferreira.
Kennebunk police are including the names of men charged with engaging a prostitute in their biweekly blotter, which was regularly scheduled to be released on Friday. But because of the holiday week, the release was postponed until Monday afternoon.
Kennebunk Lt. Anthony Bean Burpee has said investigators are combing through massive amounts of evidence in the case, including videos Wright is alleged to have made of her encounters with clients, and they are issuing summonses to accused johns as they collect enough evidence to do so.