4 people safe after newspaper carrier spots fire in Columbia

Posted Nov. 22, 2012, at 12:12 p.m.

COLUMBIA, Maine — An early morning Thanksgiving Day fire destroyed much of a trailer on Webb District Road.

Four adults were sleeping inside the home of Chester Grant when a carrier for the Bangor Daily News saw the fire during his morning route. The carrier called 911 about 5:30 a.m. and woke the family, David Grindle, first lieutenant with the Columbia Fire Department, said Thursday.

“No one was injured,” Grindle said. “All the people and pets got out, but the trailer is a total loss.”

The Grant family is staying with relatives nearby, he said.

Grindle said the blaze appeared to have started near the wood stove in the living room.

In addition to Columbia firefighters, units from Harrington, Addison and Columbia Falls were called in to put out the fire, Grindle said.

This is not the first time a newspaper carrier has alerted officials to an emergency situation: A carrier for the BDN saved a 76-year-old customer after a fall in 2011.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business