May 21, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Wife finds husband unconscious, dog dead in Freeport home

By William Davis, BDN Staff

FREEPORT, Maine — A Freeport man is in the hospital in critical condition after his wife found him unconscious and their dog dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, according to officials.

The wife went to the house, at 3 Woodside Lane in Freeport, shortly before 10:30 Saturday morning after the man did not show up for a meeting Saturday morning, according to Freeport Fire Department Deputy Chief Paul Conley.

When she stepped to the door she smelled a strong odor and realized she couldn’t go in, Conley said. She saw her husband unconscious on the floor upstairs and called 911.

The man was removed from the house by Freeport firefighters and taken to Maine Medical Center. The couple’s dog was given oxygen and taken to a veterinary hospital about 2 miles down the road but did not survive.

There was a large amount of carbon monoxide in the house, which may have been a result of incomplete combustion rather than a leak, according to Paul.

The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like