June 22, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Man displaced by Ellsworth fire takes own life; blaze deemed suspicious

Mario Moretto | BDN
Mario Moretto | BDN
Firefighters battle the blaze that destroyed this Stackpole Way home in Ellsworth on Nov. 8, 2012. The next day, investigators with the state fire marshal's office deemed the fire suspicious, and the homeowner, Dayton Arey, took his own life.
By Mario Moretto, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — One of the victims of Thursday ’s devastating house fire on Stackpole Way in Ellsworth took his own life Friday morning, according to state police.

Dayton Arey, 57, was staying with his family at a friend’s home on Birchlawn Drive in Lamoine after Thursday night’s fire leveled his house. Maine State Police received a call around 7 a.m. from the home, said spokesman Stephen McCausland.

McCausland said Arey had stabbed himself, though he said he could not provide any additional details about the incident.

McCausland also said that the state fire marshal had declared the Ellsworth fire suspicious, in part because of how quickly the house burned.

“A bizarre set of circumstances surrounds this entire event,” McCausland said. “Firefighters were surprised at how quick the house was engulfed in fire.”

Police have not provided a motive for the suicide, and McCausland said it would likely be next week before any additional details are available on the death or the fire.

While the home was still burning, Arey told the Bangor Daily News that he discovered the fire when he arrived home from work.

“I came home and opened the door,” he said as he watched his home burn. “There was black smoke billowing out.”

Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal are continuing the investigation into the fire, said McCausland, who also represents that office. Excavating equipment from Ellsworth is being used to help investigators comb through the rubble.

“Part of the investigation of the fire scene will be interviews, including family members that were living there,” McCausland said. “Considering what they’re dealing with, those may take place next week. … It likely will be awhile before we have a definitive answer to what started the fire,” he said.

McCausland said he didn’t know where Arey’s wife, Heidi, and five children were staying now, or whether the home was insured.

Arey’s body was examined at the scene by an assistant to the state medical examiner and released to a local funeral home.

Follow Mario Moretto on Twitter at @riocarmine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like