May 26, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Maine college roundup, women’s soccer: Maine 2, UNH 1


Orono, Maine – The University of Maine women’s soccer team clinched a playoff berth with a 2-1 decision over New Hampshire in the rain on Sunday.

New Hampshire (5-9-2, 3-2-1) took a 1-0 lead at 20:17 of the first half after Kirstyn Corder slipped a shot past Black Bear keeper Meagan Price-Leibenzeder for the goal. Kristi Zarrilli and Monique Lamotte would notch the assist for the Wildcats.

Maine (7-6-2, 3-3-1) held a 7-3 shot advantage over New Hampshire after the first half.

The second half saw all Black Bear scoring. Lisa Bijman (Brantford, Ontario) would net a 40-yard strike 67:11, as Wildcat keeper Erica Correa was unable to come up with the save. Maddie Hill (Brampton, Ontario) scored the game-winning goal at 72:01 as she took a direct kick from Bijman.

The Black Bears were able to hold the Wildcats to just two shots in the second half as the defense stepped up big during the last 15 minutes of the match.

Price-Leibenzeder anchored the defense in goal as she picked up her first win of the year, posting four saves while allowing one goal against. Her record improves to 1-2-0 on the season.

Correa was the keeper for New Hampshire as her record fell to 5-8-2 with two goals against and eight saves.

The Black Bears held a 17-5 shot advantage as well as a 5-3 corner kick edge.

Women’s soccer

Husson 2, Green Mountain 0

BANGOR, Maine — The Husson University women’s soccer team beat Green Mountain College 2-0, in the battle of the Eagles, on Sunday afternoon at Boucher Field.

Husson got back on track following a loss yesterday to Castleton State, beating Green Mountain College in another crucial conference matchup.

Junior Becca Jones (Newmarket, NH) netted her first goal of the season for Husson at 41:14 on a free kick shot, putting Husson up 1-0.

Husson never turned back from there, peppering the GMC goalkeeper, Emma Lord (Greenville, NY) with 25 shots and 14 corner kicks in the match.

Junior Kelsey Brangiel (Newmarket, NH) notched a goal in the 72nd minute when she headed a rebound off a shot from first year Hannah Clough (Mount Vernon, ME) putting the Husson Eagles up 2-0.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) stopped all 2 shots she faced on goal.

“It was great to come out with another conference win today. Our finishing wasn’t great overall, but Becca’s free kick and Kelsey’s goal off Hannah’s assist were both fantastic. We also controlled possession and switched the point of attack well, and we’re looking forward to getting out and competing again on Wednesday,” said Husson coach Carly Gettler.

In a physical game laced with numerous injury stoppages, Husson prevailed and improves to 6-11 and 6-1 in NAC play.

Castleton State 1, Husson 0

BANGOR, Maine — Husson Women’s Soccer suffered their first conference loss of the year Saturday afternoon to Castleton State College 1-0 at Boucher Field.

Both teams entered the day undefeated in conference play. Castleton scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute when Sarah Ethier (Portsmouth, RI) netted a pass from Kelsey Garceau (St. Albans, VT).

The Eagles played a very defensively minded game, seeing 22 shots their way. Sophomore goalkeeper Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) had 10 saves. Senior Meghan O’Neil (Hartford, VT) earned one defensive save when she kicked out a shot providing support to Poulin who had come out to stop a shot just seconds before. Husson really turned up the pressure in the second half but they were unable to capitalize on scoring opportunities.

UMF 3, UMF 0

FARMINGTON, Maine – It came down to the final 10 minutes of regulation and a pair of outstanding individual efforts for the University of Maine at Farmington women’s soccer team to put away a pesky UMaine-Machias squad, 3-0, Sunday afternoon at Prescott Field.

Hanging on to a slim 1-0 lead late in the game, UMaine-Farmington (9-5-1) forward Ava Amador (Farmington, Maine/Mt. Blue) fought through the center of the UMaine-Machias defense and put a blast into the back of the Clipper goal from the top of the 18-yard box in the game’s 86th minute.

Just 16 seconds later, midfielder Kayla Tuttle (Waterville, Maine/Waterville) completed almost the exact same exercise, dribbling up the middle of the Machias defense and beating Clipper keeper Rebecca Young. Tuttle also scored UMaine-Farmington’s first goal in the 42nd minute, dribbling into the 18 and putting a shot to the left of Young.

Tuttle’s two goals on Sunday gave her 50 points (18 goals, 14 assists) for her career, a placing the junior midfielder 10th among UMaine-Farmington career points leaders.

UMaine-Farmington outshot UMaine-Machias, 32-5, but a stingy Clipper defense meant less than 50 percent of those shots (14) were actually on goal. The Beavers also had a 9-4 advantage in corner kicks taken.

Castleton 4, MMA 0

CASTINE, Maine — Castleton scored a pair of goals in both halves to knock off Maine Maritime 4-0 in a North Atlantic Conference game Sunday at Ritchie Field. The Spartans remained perfect in the NAC at 7-0 and are 11-3-1 overall while the Mariners fell to 2-4-1 NAC, 5-8-1 overall. The loss snapped a two game winning streak for Maine Maritime.

Mallory Costello netted both of Castleton’s goals in the first half. Her first came at the 1:35 mark before she headed in a corner kick from Jenna Bostwick at 36:07. Sami Ritter headed in a pass from Sarah Ethier to give Castleton a 3-0 in the second half and Kelsey Lenney scored at 85:17.

The Spartans outshot Maine Maritime 36-2 and didn’t allow a shot on goal. Mariners’ keeper Taylor O’Malley finished with 14 saves.

Thomas 2, UMPI 1

WATERVILLE, Maine — Elizabeth Goodall scored in the final minute of play to edge the Thomas Terriers (4-10, 1-6 NAC) over University of Maine-Presque Isle (4-8) in a non-conference women’s soccer matchup on Saturday afternoon.

Jenn Dayscored the first goal of the contest at the 10:47 mark on a strike from outside the box for her tally of the season. The goal would hold as the game-winner until Cassie Cyrwould beat the Thomas keeper on an assist from Chelsea Beaulieu at 70:50.

The game looked headed for extra time until Goodall would get a perfectly crossed ball from Day in the box, beating the Owls goalie with just 13 seconds left.

Taylor Ussery registered a game high 11 saves in net for Presque-Isle, while her counterpart Kate Thibodeau had seven stops.

The Terriers held a 23-12 shot advantage in the win.

St. Joseph’s 8, UMPI 0

STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s (7-4-2, 3-4-2 GNAC) breezed past University of Maine-Presque Isle (4-9), 8-0, in non-conference women’s soccer action on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon at Westerlea Way Field. Sophomore forward Kim Jordan (Bangor, Maine) scored a pair of goals in the one-sided match.

Sophomore Danielle Daigle (Dayton, Maine) opened the scoring with her team-leading sixth goal of the season off a Jodi Pollack (Andover, Mass.) feed 6:49 after the opening whistle. Pollack hit pay dirt herself 10 minutes later to provide the hosts with an early 2-0 cushion.

The Monks proceeded to put the game away with four goals in a matter of nine minutes, starting with a Lizzie Calnan (Westport, Mass.) marker at the 30:03 mark. Jordan netted her first goal of the day in the 32nd minute, Ashley Beaulieu (Durham, Maine) scored in the 38th minute, and Jordan found the back of the net again at the 38:59 time-stamp to lift St. Joe’s to 6-0 advantage. Freshman Megen Pollini (Wolfeboro, N.H.) was credited with an assist on Calnan’s score and Calnan dealt the helper on Jordan’s first goal.

Beaulieu increased the SJC lead to 7-0 with 38 seconds remaining in the first half and freshman Hannah Leblanc (Andover, Mass.) capped the game scoring with her second goal of the season 44 seconds into the second stanza.

St. Joe’s junior netminder Jaci Lorenzen (Windham, Maine) made five saves to post her seventh shutout of the season while her counterpart, Presque Isle senior keeper Taylor Ussery (La Verne, Calif.), registered 13 stops in a losing effort.

Saint Joseph’s held advantages in shots (23-7), shots on goal (21-5) and corner kicks (4-1) in the victory.

Hamilton 2, Colby 0

CLINTON, N.Y. —- Despite 12 saves from Colby College goalkeeper Emily Brook, Hamilton College received goals from Alex Rimmer and Charlotte Cosgrove in a 2-0 win over the Mules on Sunday.

Colby falls to 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the NESCAC heading into Saturday’s 1:30 p.m. home game with Williams College. Hamilton moves to 8-3-1 overall and 5-3-1 in the conference.

Hamilton opened the scoring with 1:15 remaining in the first half on Lauren Brady’s corner kick. She sent the kick from the right side into the box to Rimmer, who headed the ball into the back of the net.

The Continentals earned the corner kick after two shots inside the box by Emi Birch. Brook saved both and sent the second shot over the end line. Hamilton led 1-0 at the break.

Cosgrove extended the lead to 2-0 in the 52nd minute. Hannah Withiam controlled the ball inside the box and fed Cosgrove in the middle. Cosgrove took one dribble and fired a shot by Brook.

The Continentals enjoyed a 21-12 shot advantage, while Colby held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

UMass Dartmouth 1, USM 0

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. — The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Corsairs women’s soccer team defeated the visiting University of Southern Maine Huskies, 1-0, in a Little East Conference match at Cressy Field Saturday afternoon.

UMass Dartmouth improved to 10-2-2 and 4-1-0 with the victory, while Southern Maine dropped to 2-11-0 and 1-4-0 with the defeat.

Coming off their first conference loss of the season, the Corsairs bounced back to defeat the feisty Huskies. After 87 minutes of scoreless action, junior defender Kathleen Landers (Danvers, Mass.) found the back of the net for the second time this season off a nice pass from junior forward Tori Pierce (Tiverton, R.I.).

With their 10th win of the season, the Corsairs reached double digits in victories for the first time since 2004

The Corsairs outshot the Huskies, 18-5. Junior goalkeeper Krista Chauvin (Seekonk, Mass.) made four saves for UMD. Senior Katie Cobb (Lewiston, ME/Lewiston HS) recorded four saves for Southern Maine.

Amherst 4, Colby 0

AMHERST, Mass. —- The 12th-ranked Amherst College women’s soccer team took advantage of scoring chances and had a big opening half in a 4-0 NESCAC victory over Colby College on Saturday.

The Mules fall to 7-4 overall and 3-4 in conference play heading into Sunday’s noon game at Hamilton College. Amherst improved to 8-1-1 overall and 5-1-1 in the conference.

Colby did have 11 shots in the game and forced Amherst goalkeepers to make seven saves. The Mules also had a 7-2 margin in corner kicks.

Megan Kim scored 8:30 into the contest for Amherst and Colby also lost goalkeeper Emily Brook for the rest of the half due to an injury on the play. Brook did come back for the second half and made three saves while allowing the one goal.

Amanda Brisco, Mel Stier, and Sarah Duffy also tallied for the Jeffs in the opening half.

Amherst 4, Bowdoin 1

AMHERST, Mass. — The 12th-ranked Amherst College women’s soccer team scored the most goals Bowdoin has allowed this season in a 4-1 decision for the Jeffs on Sunday afternoon.

Amherst improved to 9-1-1 (6-1-1 NESCAC) with the win, while the Polar Bears fell to 9-3-0 (5-3-0 NESCAC).

Kate Sisk and Meghan Kim led the way for Amherst, each tallying a goal and an assist. Juniors Amanda Brisco and Sarah Duffy also scored for the Jeffs, while Kathryn Nathan notched a pair of assists to bring her league-leading total to nine. Audrey Phillips sent in the lone Bowdoin goal on a helper from Alexa Yurick midway through the second half.

Battling a slippery pitch on Sunday, Bowdoin found the first strong opportunity just two minutes in on a cross from Yurick on which Phillips got a good foot, but her shot was within the reach of a diving Holly Burwick.

Amherst immediately answered when Nathan found space on the right side and sent a swift cross into the box for her co-captain, Sisk. The junior controlled the pass then blasted a hard left past the diving keeper and into the top right corner for a 1-0 Jeff lead. The Jeffs nearly added to the lead when Mel Stier found Duffy with a well-placed header, but Bowdoin goalie Bridget McCarthy made a nice save on her shot.

Late in the half Kim gave Amherst some breathing room, corralling a loose ball on the left side of the box and blasting it past McCarthy. Amanda Kinneston nearly drew Bowdoin within one in the 43rd as she beat Shepherd with some nifty footwork, but Burwick made another nice save, diving to control the spinning shot from the left side and keep the Amherst lead at 2-0 heading into halftime.

Immediately challenging the Jeff lead, Bowdoin started the second period with a strong attempt when Jamie Hofstetter found space for a long run down the right side then sent a cross to Morgan Woodhouse at the top of the box, but her blast flew high of the Amherst net.

Amanda Brisco gave the hosts a 3-0 lead with a goal at 57:48 and nearly scored another two minutes later when Cooper took a shot off the left post that rebounded to Brisco. Still on the ground after diving for Cooper’s attempt, McCarthy made a brilliant save, lunging to her left to control Brisco’s rebound shot.

Bowdoin found their first tally in the 69th minute, when a cross from Yurick found Phillips in space on the left side of the box and she popped it over the fingertips of a leaping Burwick.

Conn. College 2, Bates 1 (2OT)

LEWISTON, Maine — Grace Bilodeau scored on a cross from Rebecca Raymond with 3:26 left in the second overtime period, lifting Connecticut College to a 2-1 win over host Bates College in a NESCAC women’s soccer game Saturday.

Bilodeau ran onto Raymond’s cross and scored to complete the come-from-behind victory for the Camels (4-6-2, 2-6-0), their second conference win.

Connecticut College tied the game with 19:54 left in regulation time, when Astrid Kempainen knocked in a loose ball in a scramble in front of Bates’ net.

Following a scoreless first half, Bates seized a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute of the game. Sophomore forward Dakota Donovan (Marblehead, Mass.) passed the ball from the corner toward the near post, where senior captain Sam Rose (Toronto, Ontario) finished the play with a shot inside the far post, for Rose’s second goal in as many games. Rose now shares the team lead in goals scored (2) and owns the team’s points lead (5).

Anabel Schmelz made eight saves for Bates (3-7-1, 1-6-1 NESCAC), while Natalie Signor stopped five shots for the Camels, who outshot the Bobcats by a 14-11 margin. Connecticut College also had an 8-3 edge in corner kicks.

UNE 1, Nichols 0 (2OT)

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Junior Ellie Arsenault (Saco, Maine) scored with 3:38 elapsed in overtime to give the University of New England women’s soccer team a 1-0 win over Nichols College in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday (Oct. 13) afternoon at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

The win was the third in the last four outings for the Nor’easters (6-9, 4-2 CCC), who last defeated Nichols during the 2008 season. The Bison (3-9-2, 0-6) have dropped their last five matches.

Despite out-shooting Nichols 24-8 during regulation, Big Blue was unable to get into the scoring column. The game-deciding tally came on the first shot attempt for either team in the extra session. After a Nichols’ defender failed to clear the ball, UNE junior Katy Marshall (Eliot, Maine) connected with Arsenault on a service from the left flank. Arsenault, hovering near the right post, one-timed the cross high over a diving Nichols’ keeper Erica Carey (South Windsor, Conn.), who had come off the goal line to try and deny Marshall’s pass.

The marker was Arsenault’s first of the season and evened the Nor’easters’ record at 1-1 in overtime affairs this year.

Junior Samantha Guyettte (Newport, Vt.) had three saves to register the third shutout in her last four starts for UNE, which wraps up its regular-season home schedule Wednesday (Oct. 17) with a 4 p.m. match versus Wentworth Institute of Technology.

Carey had a busy afternoon in goal for the Bison, making 13 stops.

Bowdoin 1, Hamilton 0

CLINTON, N.Y. – Kiersten Turner scored the game’s only goal as the Bowdoin College women’s soccer team topped Hamilton College 1-0 at Love Field on Saturday.

Bowdoin’s (9-2 overall, 5-2 NESCAC) lone goal was assisted by Molly Popolizio. Bridget McCarthy made four saves for the shutout. Liza Gergenti made five stops for the Continentals in the loss. Alex Rimmer and Hannah Withiam had five shots apiece.

Turner notched her team-leading fifth goal in the 23rd minute. Becky Krakora’s free kick into the box eventually found Popolizio, whose header was originally stopped by Gergenti. Turner collected the rebound and knocked it into the back of the net.

Hamilton (7-3-1, 4-3-1) upped the tempo in the second half, gaining 10 more shots than the Polar Bears, but couldn’t convert on any of them. The Continentals held an 18-7 shot advantage for the game and Bowdoin held a slight edge in corner kicks at 5-3.

Women’s hockey

Quinnipiac 5, Maine 2

Hamden, Conn. – The University of Maine women’s ice hockey team dropped a 5-2 decision against Quinnipiac this afternoon. The Black Bears fall to 0-2-0 on the season while the Bobcats move to 2-1-1 on the season.

Jennifer More (Deloraine, Manitoba) got the Black Bears on the board first at 12:57 in the first period, assist credited to Brittany Dougherty (Chesterfield, Michigan). The Bobcats would tie it up at 1-1 off the Erica Uden Johansson goal at 18:39, which was assisted by Kelly Babstock.

The second period saw all Quinnipiac action. Nicole Connery netted an unassisted goal at 4:04 and Breann Frykas scored on the power play. Frykas was setup by Kelly Babstock and Nicole Kosta. The Bobcats held a 3-1 lead after two periods of play.

Brittany Lyons would add to the Quinnipiac lead as she took advantage of the power play at 1:19 into the third period, assist to Nicole Brown. Tori Pasquariello (Mississauga, Ontario) would answer back as she netted the puck at 7:11 in the third. Jessica Hall (Ingersoll, Ontario) would notch the assist for the Black Bears second goal of the game. Kelly Babstock scored the fifth and final goal for the Bobcats on an empty net, with the assist coming from Regan Boulton.

Freshman Meghann Treacy (Lake Peekskill, New York) was between the pipes for the Black Bears as she allowed four goals while saving 32 shot attempts. Her record falls to 0-1-0 on the season thus far.

Chelsea Laden got the start in net for the Bobcats as she allowed two goals on 19 saves as her record improves to 1-1-0.

The Bobcats held a 37-21 shot advantage over the Black Bears.

Field hockey

UMF 4, Colby-Sawyer 0

At New London, N.H., Chelsea Morley put the visitors on top in the 20th minute when she found the back of the cage with her fourth goal of the season.

The Chargers were able to keep the Beavers off the board for the rest of the first frame after being outshot 9-1.

UMaine-Farmington increased its advantage to 2-0 in shortly into the second half on a goal from Kaitlyn Bulle. The goal was set up by senior Annie Agnew.

The Beavers were in control of the game and doubled their score on a pair of goals from senior Emma Daniel to take the 4-0 win.

Sophomore goalie Curran Brierley (East Hampton, N.Y./East Hampton) made two saves en route to the shutout. Colby-Sawyer keeper Jodi Dumayne stopped 12 shots in the loss.

UMaine-Farmington held a 20-2 edge in shots and a 19-3 advantage in penalty corners.

Northeastern 4, Maine 3

DURHAM, N.H. — The No. 25 University of Maine field hockey time took No. 10 Northeastern to overtime but fell in the end, dropping the contest 4-3 to the Huskies. The loss slips Maine back to 9-7 overall while Northeastern climbs to 11-3. Holly Stewart (North Vancouver, British Columbia) tallied a pair of goals for Maine while Hannah Keating(York, Maine) added a score.

Northeastern jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on a Zoe Kale goal, 10:40 into the opening half. Deirdre Duke setup Kale for the goal as she sent a pass to the middle of the circle where Kale would deposit the ball into the cage.

Maine knotted things up just over three minutes later when Stewart found the back of the cage. The sophomore forward was in perfect position in front of the cage as she controlled a rebound from an earlier shot and slipped a shot of her own past Northeastern goalkeeper Lizzie Priest.

Crystal Poland put the Huskies back on top at the 29:33 mark with her 20th tally of the season. The goal resulted directly off a penalty corner as Nicky Graham inserted the ball to Kelly Dunn who made the stop, setting up Poland for a blast and the score.

The Huskies extended their lead to 3-1 just before the half as Caroline Judge converted on an unassisted goal.

The Black Bears would charge back, answering with a pair of goals to tie things up. Stewart brought Maine back within a goal, 13:59 into the second half with her second tally of the game. The Black Bears, setup on a penalty corner, would work the ball to the top of the circle. After Priest made the initial save, Stewart would again be in perfect position to tap home the rebound.

Keating tied things back up with her fifth goal of the season with 12:44 left in the second half. Annabelle Hamilton(North Vancouver, British Columbia) and Elke Jacobse (Badhoevedorp, Netherlands) raced out down the field before Jacobse sent a pass into the circle to Keating who buried a shot into the back of the cage.

The game would move to overtime where Duke would lead a break away play for the Huskies, sending a pass from the top of the circle down to Graham who beat Maine goalkeeper Alicia Frisch (Calgary, Alberta) with the game-winner.

Northeastern held the edge in shots 31-15 and also led in penalty corner tries 14-6.

Frisch falls to 7-3 on the season after making 14 saves in the cage for Maine while Priest moves to 11-3 after making six stops for the Huskies.

Husson 2, Simmons 0

BANGOR, Maine — The Husson Eagles field hockey team continued its strong play in conference with a 2-0 win over the Simmons College Sharks Sunday afternoon.

The Eagles got an early goal from Sabrina Vaillancourt (Newport, ME) off an assist from Mariah Arno (Dover-Foxcroft, ME) just 1:09 into the game.

That would prove to be the game-winner, as Husson goaltender Maicee Gustin (Dexter, ME) stopped all 12 shots she faced for her first shutout of the season.

The Eagles got an insurance goal early in the second half as Kara Poirier (Berlin, NH) was able to put one home off a rebound in front of the net.

Despite the loss, the Sharks defense played strong all game as Husson was in control of possession for most of the contest. Goaltender Renna Smith (Belfast, ME) played well in net, stopping 15 of 17 shots she faced.

The win improves Husson to 8-7 overall, and 6-1 in North Atlantic Conference play. The loss drops Simmons to 4-12 overall, 3-5 in the NAC.

Castleton 4, Thomas 3

CASTLETON, Vt. – Trailing Thomas 3-1 after one half, the Spartans came alive in the second to clinch a dramatic 4-3 win over the Terriers and remain perfect in conference play on a rainy Sunday afternoon at Spartan Stadium.

Castleton outshot Thomas 15-9 in the opening 35 minutes but trailed at the half for just third time all season. In the second, the Spartans unloaded 28 shot and came through with three goals, the final by freshman Maria Stern (Springfield, Vt.) with just1:07 left in regulation.

With the win the Spartans extend their conference regular season winning streak to 17 games. They also improve to 12-2 overall and an impressive 7-0 in the North Atlantic Conference. Thomas, meanwhile, falls to 5-9 on the season and 3-4 in the NAC.

Thomas came out aggressive and scored just 2:43 into the contest when Brittany Premo (Concord, N.H.) put home a rebound right in front of the net.

Premo made it 2-0 in favor of the Terriers just three minutes later. She took a pass from Michelle Greene (Winslow, Maine) on the far side of the net and put it home before Jessica Galatioto (Queensbury, N.Y.) could react.

Rachel Preusser (Craryville, N.Y.) cut the lead in half in the eighth minute. Kristy Pinkham (Brandon, Vt.) fired a ball from just inside the shooting circle and it went off a stick into the air toward the goal. Preusser was planted on the near side of the net and batted the ball out of the air and into the cage.

Miranda Tinsman (Belgrade, Maine) pushed the Thomas lead to 3-1 in the 17th minute, scoring off a rebound right in front of the net.

In the second half, the Terriers made a concerted effort to stall the Castleton attack, regularly putting nine and ten players inside the shooting circle.

Despite the Thomas efforts, Blake Wardwell (Bridgewater, Vt.) closed the gap to 3-2 in the 42nd minute,scoring off a rebound right in front.

Senior Kealy Chipman (Bellows Falls, Vt.) then tied it the 56th minute, firing a shot from just inside the shooting circle.

The score remained tied until the 69th minute. Stern collected the ball outside the far side of the shooting circle, dribbled in a little ways and then ripped a shot through the defense and goalie Jasmine Bishop (Waterville, Maine) to give Castleton a 4-3 lead with 1:07 left.

Galatioto finished with six saves for Castleton while Bishop made 22, including 15 in the second half.

Castleton State 5, UMF 3

CASTLETON, Vt. – Castleton fended off a late push by conference foe University of Maine at Farmington and came away with a 5-3 victory on Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

The Spartans received a balanced offensive attack and solid defensive performance by the entire squad to stay undefeated in the North Atlantic Conference (6-0). UMaine-Farmington dropped to 5-2 in the conference, 5-6 overall.

Castleton struck first with a quick goal in the fourth minute from Mercedes Maltbie. Maltbie beat a defender and fired on net, sliding it past UMF goalie Felisha Taylor (Chelsea, Maine/Cony), giving the Spartans a 1-0 lead.

Me.-Farmington quickly answered with a goal in the 14th minute. Lily Barry (Hermon, Maine/Hermon) received a pass from Meghan Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine/MCI) and ripped a shot past Spartan goalkeeper Jess Galatioto.

The Spartans regained the lead at the 17-minute mark. The NAC’s leading scorer Kealy Chipman collected a rebound off the goaltender’s pads and smashed it into the back of the net, giving Castleton the 2-1 lead.

In the 28th minute, the Spartans earned a penalty corner and converted a set play for their third goal of the game. Rachel Preusser took the corner, passing it to Maltbie, who slipped it back to Preusser for the score.

Seconds before the halftime whistle Castleton added to their lead. Chipman found herself in the right place at the right time, collecting a loose ball inside the circle and firing it past the Beavers’ keeper.

In the second half, UMF opened the scoring in the 50th minute with a barrage of shots on net. Galatioto saved the first two shots, but the third slipped past her and Barry finished it off for her second tally of the game.

Castleton answered with a goal of its own two minutes later. Brandi Whittemore lifted a back-handed shot in the top half of the netting, giving the Spartans a 5-2 lead with 18 minutes left in regulation.

UMF continued its offensive pressure and scored late to close the gap. Midfielder Chelsea Morley (York, Maine/York) lifted a shot from the top of the circle that snuck past Galtioto and into the net. The tally made the score 5-3 but that was as close as the Beavers would get.

Galatioto finished the game with 13 saves and improved her season record to 11-1. Taylor took the loss for the Beavers, allowing four goals and making five saves.

Thomas 2, Colby-Sawyer 0

NEW LONDON, N.H. – October 13, 2012 – The Thomas College field hockey team earned a 2-0 road win at Colby-Sawyer in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) play Saturday afternoon.

The Terriers improve to 5-8 overall and 3-4 in the NAC, while Colby-Sawyer pulls even at 5-5 overall and drops to 1-3 in conference play.

Thomas senior Miranda Tinsman (Belgrade, Maine) put the visitors on top 1-0 27 minutes into the game when she found the back of the cage off a feed from freshman Erin Nelligan (Walpole, Mass.). The goal was Tinsman’s fifth of the season.

The Terriers increased their lead in the 55th minute on senior Bre Girard’s (Westbrook, Maine) first goal of the season. Senior teammate Ally Kennedy (Winthrop, Maine) was credited with the assist.

Thomas junior goalie Sofia Sourgiadakis (Littleton, N.H.) made one save in the shutout. Colby-Sawyer freshman goalie Kasey Redmond (Germantown, N.Y.) had nine saves in the loss.

Thomas held a 14-4 edge in shots and a slim 8-7 margin in penalty corners.

Colby 2, Hamilton 1

CLINTON, N.Y. —- The Colby College field hockey team converted on two of five penalty corner attempts and the Mules earned their first New England Small College Athletic Conference victory of the season with a 2-1 win against Hamilton College on Sunday.

The Mules move to 5-7 overall and 1-7 in the conference. Colby must win its final two games for a chance at making the NESCAC playoffs. The Mules entertain Williams College (3-5 NESCAC) in a big game this Saturday at 11 a.m. Colby closes out the regular season with an away game at Bates College next Wednesday.

The Mules scored with no time left in the first half after drawing a penalty corner. Courtney Erskine scored her first goal of the season off a pass from Caitlin Murray.

Hamilton (0-12 overall, 0-9 NESCAC) scored quickly in the second half when Aubrey Coon tallied at 38:39 from Katey Hopper.

Murray scored her fourth goal of the season and had the game-winning goal at 43:26 off an assist from Erskine on the second penalty corner goal.

Colby goaltender Michelle Burt stopped three shots, while Hamilton keeper Victoria Trentini made 12 saves. Burt reached 101 saves on the season.

The Mules had a 27-5 shot advantage and a 5-2 margin in penalty corners.

Amherst 6, Colby 0

AMHERST, Mass —- The Colby College field hockey team played a nationally-ranked opponent for the fifth Saturday in a row, this time falling 6-0 at 15th-ranked Amherst College in NESCAC play.

Amherst improved to 7-3 overall and 4-3 in conference play, while the Mules fall to 4-7 overall and 0-7 in the league. Colby will play at Hamilton College on Sunday at noon.

The Jeffs, who had a 29-3 shot advantage and a 19-3 margin in penalty corners, led 4-0 at intermission. Alex Philie scored the first of her two goals at 8:35 for the game-winning score. Philie and Katie McMahon both had two goals and one assist for the winners.

Michelle Burt played about 45 minutes and made 12 saves for Colby. Sarah Evans played the final 25:08 and made two stops without allowing a score.

Bowdoin 1, Amherst 0

AMHERST, Mass. – Katie Riley buried the game winner just 2:13 into overtime to lift the third-ranked Bowdoin field hockey team to a 1-0 win in a contest they dominated over 15th-ranked Amherst on Senior Day at Gooding Field on Sunday.

Dropping to 7-4 (4-4 NESCAC), the Jeffs suffered their third overtime loss of 2012, having also fallen to No. 8 Tufts and No. 13 Trinity in extra time. Improving to 15-10 all-time against Amherst, Bowdoin extended its win streak to seven, while moving to 11-1 (7-1 NESCAC) on the year. The Polar Bears finished with a decisive 35-4 shot advantage and an 18-2 edge in corners.

Playing a penalty corner to the left side with just over 20 minutes to go in the half, Molly Paduda set up Brooke Phinney, who ripped a hard shot that found sophomore Rachel Tannenbaum’s pads.­­ Just over 10 minutes later, Colleen Finnerty drew a penalty after Tannenbaum trapped the ball near the right post. Keeping the Jeffs level, the Amherst goalkeeper again came up big, making a diving stop on first-year Rachel Kennedy’s ensuing stroke. Staying aggressive, Riley narrowly missed a chance to break the deadlock, ringing a try off the post at 29:26 as the teams remained scoreless at the intermission.

Earning another penalty corner five minutes into the second period, Paduda again played Phinney at the top of the circle, but Tannenbaum made a kick save with her right pad to deny the senior the go-ahead goal.

Continuing to control possession over the next 15 minutes, Bowdoin won six more penalty corners, while outshooting Amherst, 9-0. After Ellie Andersen recorded the Jeffs’ first shot of the half 21:32 into the frame, Colleen Finnerty sent another try off the post, this time hitting the right pipe.

Generating another scoring opportunity in the 63rd minute, Cathleen Smith got free in front and looked to have an open shot on net, but Annie Turnbull covered the back post, making a big defensive save.

Kennedy tested Tannenbaum with another attempt at 65:56, but the keeper got just enough with her left blocker to keep the Polar Bears off the board. Winning a penalty corner at the end of regulation, Phinney and Kennedy got two more shots on target, but Tannenbaum made a pair of diving saves before Alex Philie cleared the ball out of the circle to force overtime.

Just 2:13 into the extra session, Bo­­wdoin finally broke through. Phinney fired a shot from the right side of the arc toward the cage. Corralling the loose ball on the back post, Smith slid a pass to Riley, who tapped in the game winner at 72:13.

Despite the loss, Tannenbaum put forth a strong effort in net, logging a season-high 17 saves, while senior counterpart Kayla Lessard made three stops in the shutout win for Bowdoin.

Connecticut College 4, Bates 1

LEWISTON, Maine — Connecticut College overcame a 1-0 deficit, then pulled away from a 1-1 tie at halftime to register a 4-1 defeat of the Bates College field hockey team on Saturday at Campus Avenue Field.

Bates (4-7, 1-6 NESCAC) junior Polly Merck (Beverly Farms, Mass.) scored her team-high seventh goal this season less than five minutes into the contest, off an assist by sophomore Caroline Falcone (New Canaan, Conn.), and Bates carried its advantage for the next 27 minutes of action.

Four different players scored for the Camels (6-5, 3-5 NESCAC). Brittany Fitzgerald led things off, tying the game at 1-1 with an unassisted tally with 2:55 left in the first half, her fourth goal this season.

After intermission, just 2:45 into the second half, Jillian Dahrooge connected on her second goal with an assist from Maggie Schroeder, giving the Camels a 2-1 lead. Heidi Halsted scored on a penalty corner play for Connecticut College, tying Fitzgerald for the team lead with her fourth goal this season. Shaelin Gottlick tacked on another score with 6:41 left in the game for a 4-1 score.

Becca Napolitano preserved the win with six saves for the Camels. For Bates, junior Becca Otley (Cumberland, Maine) started and made three saves, including one in the second half, while first-year Cristina Vega (Needham, Mass.) made three saves in the second half. Senior back Alie Philip (Simsbury, Conn.) recorded her second defensive save this season.

U-New England 2, WNE 1

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — The University of New England field hockey team scored a pair of first-half goals, then held off a late Western New England University rally for a 2-1 Commonwealth Coast Conference victory Saturday (Oct. 13) under the lights at Golden Bear Stadium.

The Nor’easters remain perfect (8-0) all-time versus Western New England, while improving their season mark to 7-6 overall, 4-2 in conference play. The Golden Bears now stand at 5-10 (0-6 CCC).

The first goal of the match came at the 18:44 mark when junior Hannah Tavella (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) notched her fourth goal in the last two contests. Senior back Ashley Hickey (Gardiner, Maine) was credited with an assist on the play.

Big Blue made it 2-0 just before the half. Junior Casey Clark (Bethlehem, N.H.) set-up classmate Brittany Liptak (Westfield, Mass.), who found the cage with 4:16 remaining in the frame.

Western New England would make things interesting late when first-year Chelsea Hayes (Marston Mills, Mass.) scored her fifth goal of the year off a feed from senior Shelby Van Huysen (Killingworth, Conn.) with 5:47 on the clock.

The hosts were unable to come up with the equalizer, however, as the Nor’easters did not surrender a shot the remainder of the way.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Warren (Boscawen, N.H.) had three saves for the Nor’easters, who held comfortable margins in shots (18-4) and penalty corners (11-2).

Senior Kaitlyn Hall (Pawtucket, R.I.) turned aside 10 shots for Western New England.

Bowdoin 6, Hamilton 0

CLINTON, N.Y. – Katie Riley recorded a hat trick as the third-ranked Bowdoin College field hockey team shutout Hamilton College 6-0 on Saturday afternoon.

Liz Znamierowski added two goals and Cathleen Smith tacked on one. Smith, Rachel Kennedy and Olivia King contributed one assist apiece. Kayla Lessard started in goal for the Polar Bears and was relieved by Hannah Gartner for the final 21:43. Neither goalkeeper made a save in the combined shutout. Victoria Trentini stopped 16 shots for the Continentals in the loss. Katie White came in for the final 21:43 and made four saves in goal.

Bowdoin (9-1 overall, 6-1 NESCAC) broke open the scoring just 4:23 into the game. Following a penalty corner, Riley collected the rebound off Brooke Phinney’s shot and fired it into the back of the cage.

Riley scored her second goal on a two-on-none breakaway in the ninth minute. Smith brought the ball up on the right side and passed to Riley on her left who scored on the one-timer to give Bowdoin a 2-0 lead.

Znamierowski scored the Polar Bears’ next two goals in a span of 4:24. Her first goal came at 17:29 on a pass from Kennedy following a penalty corner and the second, an unassisted goal on a rebound in front of the cage. Bowdoin led 4-0 at the half.

In the 44th minute, Riley sealed the hat trick when she drove on the goal line and fired a shot past Trentini for an unassisted goal.

The Polar Bears added one final goal just 1:43 later. King sent a shot in from just outside the circle and Smith redirected the ball in for a goal.

Bowdoin outshot the Continentals 39-4 and held an advantage in penalty corners at 15-4.

Men’s soccer

Husson 4, Castleton State 1

BANGOR, Maine — In a rematch of last year’s NAC Soccer Championship Husson Men’s Soccer continued their winning ways by defeating Castleton State College once again 4-1, Saturday afternoon at Boucher Field.

At 17:15 Husson Sophomore goalkeeper Brian Potter (Waterville, ME) came out of the box to make a play, the ball slipped free and Sophomore Vinny Visconti (North Andover, MA) came out of nowhere and made a huge defensive save for the Eagles, keeping the game scoreless

Potter came up huge in the 23rd minute when Castleton First Year Danny Favreau (Arlington, VT) shook off all the defenders he encountered and set up a one on one play. Potter come out of the box and kicked the ball right from under Favreau breaking up a potentially dangerous scoring opportunity for the Spartans, and setting the tone for the game in front of an impressive Homecoming crowd.

In a play eerily similar to a goal against Bates College on Wednesday, Senior James Crockford (Watford, England) found Sophomore Phil Frost (Bangor, ME) again on a free kick. Frost headed in the goal putting the Eagles up 1-0 in the 32nd minute.

Frost netted his 11th goal of the season when he once again used his head to redirect an Andrew Austin (Ellsworth, ME) flip throw into the goal, bouncing off a Castleton defender who was inside the goal, to increase the lead to 2-0 just minutes later in the 34th minute.

Castleton wasn’t going out without a fight, First Year Blake Hart scored in the 37th minute cutting the lead to one.

The Eagles answered back at 58:31 when Sophomore Jacob Erskine placed the ball just out of reach of the Spartans Junior goalkeeper, Nate Koeneman (Montpelier, VT). The play coming after another free kick placed in the box by Crockford, headed by Frost, and rebounded perfectly to Erskine allowing him to increase the lead to 3-1.

Husson extended their lead to 4-1 on the foot of Sophomore Patrick Van Dessel (Dover, NH) when he found the back of the net at 79:48. Once again Crockford found Frost on a free kick and Van Dessel was at the right place at the right time booting the rebound into the net.

Husson looks to continue their success tomorrow (Sunday, October 14) hosting another conference matchup against Green Mountain College, at 2:30 PM. Husson improves to 9-4 overall, and 5-1 in NAC play.

Husson 4, Green Mountain 1

BANGOR, Maine — Husson set the tempo for the game early on when Taylor Wentworth (Ellsworth, ME) scored his first goal of the season with an assist coming from Junior Zach Emeigh (Ellsworth, ME) at 21:53.

Defense came up huge numerous times for Husson stopping scoring opportunities for Green Mountain early. In the 37th minute Junior Chris DelGiudice (Oakland, ME) broke up a huge run by GMC’s Nate Laymon, (Iloion, NY) preventing a one on one opportunity and squashing the scoring chance.

Green Mountain Junior Chukwuemeka Ugorji (Abuja, Nigeria) put the Green Mountain Eagles on the board in the 42nd minute when Husson goalkeeper Mason Smith (Houma, LA) came out to stop a prior shot by Laymon. With Mason out of the net Ugorji blasted a ball right into the net.

GMC Senior goalkeeper Toliver DiMasi (Winooski, VT) had some impressive saves of his own, especially one coming in the 58th minute when he reached out and slapped away a shot from Senior James Crockford, (Watford, England) momentarily silencing the hot feet of the Husson Eagles.

The second half was all Husson, seeing three goals from three different players. First to add to the tally was sophomore Andy Stevick (Rockport, ME) who took the ball to the net and exploded a long shot on DiMasi at 60:20. This was Stevick’s first goal of the season.

Green Mountain had a strong scoring opportunity in the 71st minute when Ugorji blasted a shot, but Smith was there to deflect it away. Smith came up huge in net for Husson, having 4 saves.

Husson kept their momentum rolling when Sophomore Phil Frost (Bangor, ME) chipped in with his 12th goal of the season, netting a pass from Emeigh in the 74th minute, extending the lead to 2.

Just a few minutes later Emeigh netted a goal of his own, to put the Eagles of Husson up 4-1, the assist coming from First Year Alain Tuyishime (Portland, ME). Husson improves to 10-4-0 on the season, 6-1-0 in NAC play.

Amherst 1, Bowdoin 0

AMHERST, Mass. – Greg Singer netted the game’s lone goal in the 40th minute as the second-ranked Amherst men’s soccer team remained unbeaten with a 1-0 victory over Bowdoin on Hitchcock Field.

Securing a one-goal win over the Polar Bears for a second-consecutive season, Amherst improved to 11-0-1 (7-0-1 NESCAC), while Bowdoin fell to 7-3-2 (3-3-2 NESCAC). One of the league’s most competitive rivalries, the Polar Bears are 1-1-2 in five other meetings with the Jeffs since 2008, with both teams netting five goals apiece during those matchups.

Generating the game’s first scoring chance just 1:21 after the opening whistle, James Mooney trapped the ball on the endline before playing a ball into the box. Winning it in the air, Singer headed the ensuing try wide right.

Creating an opportunity of its own in the 12th minute, Alex Thomas found the feet of Zach Ostrup, who quickly turned and fired a low shot wide. Staying aggressive, the Polar Bears caught first year netminder Thomas Bull out of position in the 23rd minute, but junior midfielder Zach Danssaert’s shot on an open goal got blocked down by the Amherst defense.

Countering in the 27th, Spencer Noon created space before chipping a shot over junior goalkeeper Will Wise that cleared the frame. Less than 10 minutes later, Noon connected with Julien Aoyama on an overlapping run down the right side. Splitting a pair of defenders, Aoyama ripped a bending left footed shot over Wise’s hands that rattled off the crossbar.

Continuing to push forward, Amherst finally broke through in the 40th minute. Serving a corner over the defense toward the back post, Jae Heo found Singer, who headed a low shot past Wise at 39:14 to give the Jeffs a 1-0 lead.

UMM 2, UMF 1

At Farmington on Sunday, the University of Maine at Machias scored twice in the last 20 minutes of play to post the win.

UMF jumped out to a lead in the 64th minute, as senior Nick Grim battled through the UMaine-Machias defense and beat Clipper keeper Luis Herrera with a blast from just inside the 18-yard box.

UMM responded with Frank Zeba’s goal in the 75th minute and the Clippers tacked on an insurance goal in the 79th minute, when Tyler Troup found his own rebound at close range and put a shot past UMF keeper Paul Dupre.

St. Joseph’s 3, UMPI 0

STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s (9-6, 5-3-1 GNAC) blanked University of Maine-Presque Isle (6-9), 3-0, in a non-conference men’s soccer contest at Westerlea Way Field on Sunday afternoon. Junior forward Zach Johnson (Westbrook, Maine) produced a goal and an assist in the victory.

Johnson netted the eventual winner, his fifth clincher of the season, in the 22nd minute off a rebound on a Fabrice Iraduha (Portland, Maine) shot. Junior Calvin Servaes (Hull, Mass.) doubled the hosts’ cushion with his second goal of the year 15 minutes later, with Johnson earning an assist on the play, and Alex Day (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) scored off an Iraduha helper at the 66:57 mark to account for the 3-0 final.

For Johnson, the game-winner was the 13th of his SJC career, a total that ties Doug MacCallum ’10 for the most clinching markers in the 23-year history of the men’s soccer program.

Freshman keeper Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho) earned the starting nod and made one save in the first half, while junior Kenny Grade (Hampton, N.H./St. Thomas Aquinas) tallied three stops in 45 minutes of mop-up duty. Owls junior Josh MacKinnon (Lismore, Nova Scotia) posted six saves in a losing effort.

Saint Joseph’s held considerable advantages in shots (32-4), shots on goal (9-4) and corner kicks (7-1) on the afternoon. With the triumph, St. Joe’s improves to 11-10-1 in the history of the series with Presque Isle, a side the Monks had not faced since the 2007 campaign prior to today’s match.

The Monks have won five straight games for just the fourth time in team history

MMA 3, Castleton 2 (2OT)

CASTINE, Maine — Abdullah Alkhayyat drilled a shot in the 102 minute to left Maine Maritime Academy to a 3-2, double overtime, win over Castleton in a North Atlantic Conference game Sunday. The wins, the Mariners’ fourth-straight, improved MMA to 6-1 NAC, 9-5 overall while the Spartans fell to 3-4, 9-6.

Benjamin Russell (Farmington, Maine) netted a shot, off a pass from David Clough, late in the second half to even the game at 2. The Spartans overcame a 1-0 defecit with two unanswered scoresto end the first half and begin the second. Zac Conlogue converted a penalty kick in the 41st minute and Bryce Kaler found the back of the net off a feed by Trevor Kotrady. MMA struck first in the 23rd minute when Alkhayyat (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) fed Nicholas George.

The Spartans held a 23-20 shot advantaged but Mariners’ keeper William Trace Lacour (Charlottesville, Va.) was up to the task and finished with 11 saves. Castleton goalie Nate Koenemann stopped six shots on goal.

Hamilton 2, Colby 0

CLINTON, N.Y. —- The Colby College men’s soccer team had a 17-15 shot advantage, but Hamilton College made two of its shots count in a 2-0 victory over the Mules in NESCAC play on Sunday.

Colby drops to 3-7-2 overall and 0-6-2 in the conference heading into Saturday’s 11 a.m. home game with Williams College.

The Continentals scored at 7:40 of the opening half on a goal by Hennie Bosman.

The game stayed that way until Anthony Balbo tallied unassisted with just 4:35 left in the contest.

Eric Boole made five saves in goal for the Hamilton shutout, while Cody Funkhouser made one stop for the Mules.

Thomas 4, UMPI 2

WATERVILLE, Maine — The Thomas Terriers (9-2-2, 5-0-1 NAC) defeated University of Maine-Presque Isle (6-8) in a non-conference men’s soccer contest Saturday afternoon. Dakota Duplissiehad two goals in the later stages of the game to seal the victory for the home team.

Sebastion Wiiala (Varmdo, Sweden) started off the scoring affair in the 15th minute with an unassisted goal for his first collegiate goal of his young career. The score would stand 1-0 going into halftime.

Kyle Corrigan would find the back of the twine at 47:06 off a feed from Chad Caverhall to even the score at 1-1, but only briefly as Khamisi Lightbournewould rip a shot from 30 yards out for another Terrier tally.

An own goal on Thomas would even the score at 2-2, until Dupllisie and Joshua Phelpswould team up for two goals at 76:17 and 78:36 respectively to secure the win for Thomas.

Josh Mackinnon had a game high six saves for the visitors, andWinston Trottstopped two shots while coming into the contest at half.

Amherst 2, Colby 0

AMHERST, Mass. —- Coby College’s defense kept the Mules in the game for 90 minutes against second-ranked Amherst College, but the Lord Jeffs scored about three minutes into the game and with about three minutes left for a 2-0 NESCAC men’s soccer victory Saturday.

Amherst moved to 10-0-1 overall and 5-0-1 in league play, while the Mules fell to 3-6-2 overall and 0-5-2 in the conference. Colby plays another league game Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Hamilton College.

Brian Morgan gave the Lord Jeffs the early lead at 3:08 off an assist from Spencer Noon. However, Colby’s defense stood firm after that and kept things interesting. The Mules have allowed just 11 goals in 11 games and just five NESCAC goals in regulation time.

Despite a 22-3 shot advantage for the Lord Jeffs, Colby goalkeeper Cody Funkhouser was credited with just one save. Thomas Bull had to make no saves in earning the shutout.

Julien Aoyama scored unassisted with 2:27 remaining in the contest.

UMass Dartmouth 4, USM 3 (OT)

GORHAM, Maine – Junior Victor Ferreira (St, Michael, Portugal) scored his third goal of the match 1:10 into sudden death overtime to give the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Corsairs a 4-3 victory over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in Little East Conference men’s soccer action Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the third straight for the conference-leading Corsairs, and improved their record to 10-3-0 overall and 5-0-0 in conference play. The Huskies dropped to 4-10-0 overall and 1-4-0 in LEC games.

Junior Anthony dos Santos (New Bedford, Mass.) slipped a pass between two USM defenders to Ferreira who took one touch and beat senior goalkeeper Jeremy Turner (Portland, Maine/Deering) low inside the right post. The three goals give Ferreira a team-high eight markers on the season.

The two sides were deadlocked at 2-2 after an entertaining opening 45 minutes of play. Ferreira scored twice for the Corsairs to offset USM goals by sophomore Mazen Aljari (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) and rookie Ahmed Ben Afif (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia).

Ferreira gave the visitors a 1-0 in the third minute with an unassisted goal into the top of the net. Aljari countered when he converted a penalty kick in the 10th minute. Ferreira restored the Corsairs’ lead in the 20th minute converting a through pass from senior Fouad Shahin (Topsfield, Mass./Masconomet). Ben Afif tallied his first collegiate goal taking a pass from sophomore Tyler Hartman (Lewiston, Maine) and beating UMD senior keeper Michael Phelan (Carver, Mass.) in the 36th minute.

Aljari and Ben Afif combined to give the Huskies their only lead of the match in the 52nd minute as Aljari slipped a shot by Phelan for his sixth goal of the campaign. Junior Adam Philbin (Cumberland, R.I.) equalized for the Corsairs three minutes later with his fifth goal of the season. Sophomore Jordan Sindo (New Bedford, Mass.) picked up the assist on Philbin’s goal.

Phelan finished the match with four saves. Turner was credited with two saves, including a right-handed parry over the bar of a 20-yard blast by Philbin in the late stages of regulation time.

UMD had an 18-15 edge in shots and a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks during the match.

Bates 0, Conn. College 0 (2OT)

LEWISTON, Maine — There was plenty of action, but no scoring, as Connecticut College and Bates College fought their way to a 0-0 draw through 110 minutes of play in a NESCAC men’s soccer game on Saturday.

It is the sixth tie this season and the third in a row for Connecticut College (3-2-6, 0-2-6), all of them in conference play.

Bates (2-7-2, 0-6-2 NESCAC) freshman goalie Joe Maffly-Kipp made eight saves for his first collegiate shutout. Connecticut College goalie Casey Marini made four saves in his third shutout this season. Marini has earned the decision in all six of the Camels’ ties, for a record this season of 0-1-6.

Bates outshot the Camels 10-5 in the second half, but couldn’t find the back of the net.

With 5:25 left in regulation, a hand-ball in Bates’ penalty area resulted in a penalty kick for the Camels’ Colin Patch. Patch’s shot was stopped by Maffly-Kipp to preserve the tie.

Nick Ford put two of his three shot attempts on goal for Bates. Patch had three shots on goal for the Camels, and Billy Hawkey had two more.

Bowdoin 2, Hamilton 2 (2OT)

CLINTON, N.Y. – Eric Goitia converted a penalty kick with 6.4 seconds remaining in regulation and Bowdoin College and Hamilton College played to a 2-2 tie in a NESCAC game at Hamilton’s Love Field on Oct. 13.

Goitia and Michael Gale each scored one goal for the Polar Bears and Zach Ostrup had one assist. Will Wise made five stops in goal. John McGuinnis and Leo Nizzi scored one goal apiece and Erich Marcks contributed an assist for the Continentals. Eric Boole made eight saves, including six in the second half.

With seven seconds remaining in regulation, the Continentals were called for a handball in the box, which led to a Bowdoin penalty kick. Goitia’s shot headed to the lower right corner and skipped by the diving Boole.

Bowdoin (7-2-2 overall, 3-2-2 NESCAC) opened the scoring in the 40th minute when the Polar Bears converted a corner kick. Ostrup crossed the ball from the right side to the far post where Gale’s header found the back of the net.

Hamilton (3-6-2, 1-5-2) tied the score with just 43 seconds remaining in the half on McGuinnis’ second goal in as many games. The play started on a James Ehret throw-in to Sam Reider. Reider crossed to Marcks at the far post, and he passed it to McGuinnis for the finish.

The Continentals scored what they hoped would be the game-winner with 1:41 left in regulation. Nizzi’s shot from 25 yards out snuck under the crossbar and into the upper left corner for his first goal this year and a 2-1 lead.

Hamilton’s best opportunity in the overtime periods came in the 95th minute when Griffin Abbott and Wise were both running towards a free ball at the top of the box. Abbott got a foot on the ball and lobbed it towards the goal line, but Bowdoin’s Ben Brewster got to the shot before it crossed the line and sent it over the end line.

Bowdoin had one last chance to get a win in the final seconds of the second sudden-victory overtime period. Andrew Jones fired a shot from about 8 yards away, but Boole came up with a kick save as time expired.

The teams also tied in their first-ever meeting last year at Bowdoin. The Polar Bears finished with a 22-20 edge in shots, and both teams took seven corner kicks.

Nichols 1, UNE 0

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Junior Fred Willard (Webster, Mass.) scored the game’s lone goal midway thru the second half as the Nichols College Bison earned a 1-0 Commonwealth Coast Conference win over the University of New England in a men’s soccer game played Saturday (Oct. 13) afternoon at Barbara J. Hazard Field.

Winners of four consecutive matches, the Bison improve to 10-5 overall and 4-2 in conference play. UNE slides to 6-8 overall, 2-4 in CCC action.

Although the Bison had several quality scoring chances during a scoreless first frame, they were unable to find the back of the next until the 64th minute. First-year Donny Whittle (Ellington, Conn.) slid a pass from the left corner to an open Willard, who launched a hard shot straight away from 10 yards out that found its way under the crossbar.

First-year goalkeeper Alex Geas (Somers, Conn.) made the tally stand up, making four saves to record his third shutout for Nichols, which led 15-9 in shots.

UNE sophomore Aidan McParland (Brockville, Ontario) finished with six stops, including one on a penalty kick and another to deny a close-range bid by senior Scott Coderre (Thompson, Conn.) in the first half.

Saint Joseph’s 2, Rivier 1 (2OT)

NASHUA, NH – Saint Joseph’s (8-6-2, 5-3-1 GNAC) tipped Rivier University (0-11-1, 0-7-1 GNAC), 2-1 in double-overtime, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s soccer match on Saturday afternoon. Junior Zach Johnson (Westbrook, Maine) netted the winner with just 2:14 remaining in the second OT frame.

St. Joe’s kicked off the scoring early when senior Alex Day (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) netted his second goal of the year 3:15 after the opening whistle. Rivier freshman Edward Soucie (South Ryegate, Vt.) knotted the contest just over nine minutes later and, despite numerous opportunities by the Monks, the game would not be decided until 108th minute.

Junior keeper Kenny Grade (Hampton, N.H./St. Thomas Aquinas) entered in relief of starter Scott Benner (Post Falls, Idaho) after the first half and made three saves in 62:46 to earn the victory. Rivier netminder Matthew St. Peter (Colchester, Vt.) tallied 13 stops in a losing effort.

Saint Joseph’s held sizeable advantages in shots (40-6), shots on goal (15-4) and corner kicks (8-1) in the victory.

With the triumph, St. Joe’s improves to 5-2-1 in the history of the series with Rivier and has now defeated the Raiders in five straight meetings dating back to the 2008 season. Exactly half of the Monks’ 16 matches have required overtime to complete and the Royal Blue owns a respectable 4-2-2 record in extra play contests this fall.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like